+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I really need help with my name variations

Umi308

Oct 27, 2022
Hello,

I am a Vietnamese and my name has four words. It appears on my passport as Aaaa Bbbb Cccc Dddd, where Aaaa is my family name, Bbbb Cccc are middle names and Dddd is my first name. Similar to some other Asian country, Vietnamese names list family names first, followed by middle names and then first names. However, when I went to the US and now Canada, my name order is mixed up into different variations in different paper works. For examples: in visa, it is appeared as Bbbb Cccc Dddd Aaaa, whereas my diplomas have my name as Dddd Bbbb Cccc Aaaa and my bank has my name as Dddd Aaaa. In some other documents, it is Dddd B. C. Aaaa or Dddd B. Aaaa.

I have never changed my name. These variations are due to the difference in naming order convention between my country and the US/Canada.

My question is how should I answer to the question "Have you ever used any other names?" and what document should I provide to support my case?

Because I only have one name and never changed it, should I say "No" and attached LOE that listed out all of my name variations and the situations where they are used?
If I say "yes", can I just submit LOE as well? I tried to select yes, and in the document checklist, it requires me to upload "legal name change document", but I have never changed my name.

I also think of doing an affidavit, but since my name varies in so many different documents, do i need to list and print out all of these documents with me when I do the affidavit?

I really really appreciate your help!