+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I own 100% of my graphic design company for two years now and I don't know how to prove work experience for such a company. Please Help!

DSGmailDM

May 2, 2020
I own and run my own graphic design company with 8-11 employees at a given time depending upon turnover. I want to apply for Express Entry but I don't understand how I will prove work experience if I own the company. Would it not look fake if I'm issuing the letter to myself since I own 100% of the shares?

My job is as a senior designer/manager. I'm taking a salary and I have tax receipts

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018
I own and run my own graphic design company with 8-11 employees at a given time depending upon turnover. I want to apply for Express Entry but I don't understand how I will prove work experience if I own the company. Would it not look fake if I'm issuing the letter to myself since I own 100% of the shares?

My job is as a senior designer/manager. I'm taking a salary and I have tax receipts
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/express-entry/applications-received-on-after-january-1-2016-completeness-check.html#s04

if the applicant is self-employed, articles of incorporation or other evidence of business ownership, evidence of self-employment income and documentation from third-party individuals indicating the service provided along with payment details (self-declared main duties or affidavits are not acceptable proof of self-employed work experience).

DSGmailDM

May 2, 2020
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/express-entry/applications-received-on-after-january-1-2016-completeness-check.html#s04

if the applicant is self-employed, articles of incorporation or other evidence of business ownership, evidence of self-employment income and documentation from third-party individuals indicating the service provided along with payment details (self-declared main duties or affidavits are not acceptable proof of self-employed work experience).
I cannot get third party evidence since I get work from Fiverr. All I can provide is company tax reports, articles of incorporation, HR letter of my duties as a manager and my own tax records and salary slips. Will this be enough?

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018
I cannot get third party evidence since I get work from Fiverr. All I can provide is company tax reports, articles of incorporation, HR letter of my duties as a manager and my own tax records and salary slips. Will this be enough?
That's for IRCC to decide. You need to provide as much evidence as you can get.

DSGmailDM

May 2, 2020
From personal experience I can tell you that being incorporated and having employees does make you employed by a business you own, not self-employed. You need a reference written by whoever is responsible for HR/Finance/Accounting at your business. Company letter head etc, just like any other employment. Can't be a business partner, but can be an employee. In my case the employee was a government licensed accountant, so maybe that made a difference.
You also need incorporation documents, tax receipts for your business and yourself, purchasing orders, rental receipts for your office, proof you've paid your employees and third party references. The third party references don't have to be from clients they can also be from your suppliers. They just need to confirm that they've dealt with you in the capacity of the NOC you are applying under. Just for comparison, my application had over 150 pages.

Can my chartered accountant do this?

neculceaion

Sep 6, 2022
If you want to apply for Express Entry, you still need to present documents confirming that you own the company. Documents from customers and billing statements may also be required. It just sounds complicated, but it's actually much simpler. A friend of mine also works as a graphic designer and recently applied for Express Entry. He also prepared several projects just in case and rendered them through the server https://forgehub.net/nebula/blender-render-farm/ just in case. But the main thing is to have a complete package of documents.