+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I need an advice.... please help me.

beck82

Mar 1, 2009
Hi Members,

I became a refugee claimant in August, 2006, living and working in Canada. I have started my career, and I'm sure that I have very bright future.
But the problem is, still haven't had my hearing yet, it's been almost 2,5 years since I've been waiting for my hearing date. I have hired a lawyer and she has been dealing with my case on my behalf, but honestly I don't know but something is wrong. I had left few voice mails for an officer at Refugee Board who is handling my case, but never heard from her. And I talked to my lawyer she said that she had contacted IRB the answer was that my case is still not ready for hearing.
From my understanding that the waiting time for this kind of applications is 16-18 month, but it's been more then that for me.

I would really appreciate if you could give me some advice on my case. Should I just wait, or do something. All my family members are back home, and i've really missed them. I can't leave Canada until i receive any kind of status, i was thinking to meet with my family somewhere outside of my home country.

Could you please give any advice?

Thank you so much,

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

beck82 said:
Hi Members,

I became a refugee claimant in August, 2006, living and working in Canada. I have started my career, and I'm sure that I have very bright future.
But the problem is, still haven't had my hearing yet, it's been almost 2,5 years since I've been waiting for my hearing date. I have hired a lawyer and she has been dealing with my case on my behalf, but honestly I don't know but something is wrong. I had left few voice mails for an officer at Refugee Board who is handling my case, but never heard from her. And I talked to my lawyer she said that she had contacted IRB the answer was that my case is still not ready for hearing.
From my understanding that the waiting time for this kind of applications is 16-18 month, but it's been more then that for me.

I would really appreciate if you could give me some advice on my case. Should I just wait, or do something. All my family members are back home, and i've really missed them. I can't leave Canada until i receive any kind of status, i was thinking to meet with my family somewhere outside of my home country.

Could you please give any advice?

Thank you so much,
You leave Canada, kiss your claim goodbye.

PMM

BCguy

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2008
Vancouver British Columbia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
16-03-1976
That is so correct,I am currently handling 2 refugees I have kinda adopted.Are you in BC???If so I know a couple of people at the BC IRB to look into your case status

beck82

Mar 1, 2009
Is there any way I can find out anything about my case? A friend of mine suggested to go to the Calgary City Hall and ask them them help me, is that something i should do?

BCguy

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2008
Vancouver British Columbia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
16-03-1976
beck82 said:
Is there any way I can find out anything about my case? A friend of mine suggested to go to the Calgary City Hall and ask them them help me, is that something i should do?
Wrong there are 3 levels of Goverment Municipal,Provincial and Federal,You are dealing with the Federal one,NOT MUNICIPAL,Have you inquired your status online????

beck82

Mar 1, 2009
Hi, I don't know how to check my status online. Do you mean that I can log in to my own rofile with IRB? Please explain.

My lawyer didn't tell me anything about this! I think she is just making money out of me! During these years I had already paid her $6 000 CA, and have another $2000 to pay before the hearing. Some of my friends told me that my lawyer is too expensive.... and I think she is not even a lawyer, coz she didn't attend LAW school, just a college.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

beck82 said:
Hi, I don't know how to check my status online. Do you mean that I can log in to my own rofile with IRB? Please explain.

My lawyer didn't tell me anything about this! I think she is just making money out of me! During these years I had already paid her $6 000 CA, and have another $2000 to pay before the hearing. Some of my friends told me that my lawyer is too expensive.... and I think she is not even a lawyer, coz she didn't attend LAW school, just a college.
Did you bother to check http://www.lawsocietyalberta.com/membersearch/index.cfm to see if she is a member of the Alberta Bar?

PMM

beck82

Mar 1, 2009
I've just checked it, she is not a member there.
But she is member of the Canadian Society of Immigration Consultants and Law Society of Upper Canada. Thats what it says on her business card.

Flori

Star Member
Sep 18, 2008
beck82 said:
But she is member of the Canadian Society of Immigration Consultants and Law Society of Upper Canada. Thats what it says on her business card.
She could still be licensed tho, even if she might be a paralegal. Read this info:
http://www.lsuc.on.ca/public/a/inquiring-about-a-lawyer/

And see if she is licensed at:
http://www1.lsuc.on.ca/LawyerParalegalDirectory/index.jsp

What's her law firm?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

beck82 said:
Then she is an Ontario Lawyer, check http://www1.lsuc.on.ca/LawyerParalegalDirectory/index.jsp and for CSIC http://www.csic-scci.ca/find/all.html

PMM

beck82

Mar 1, 2009
Thank you , I've just checked that first website, it seems she is registered (Paralegal).
But how can I check my status online, I mean my case? Is it possible?

Thanks again.

beck82

Mar 1, 2009
Can I apply for Alberta PNP program, if I'm a refugee claimant? or there is no way to change my status in Canada? Please advice.

Flori

Star Member
Sep 18, 2008
beck82 said:
Can I apply for Alberta PNP program, if I'm a refugee claimant? or there is no way to change my status in Canada? Please advice.
I don't think so, either.