+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I exceeded 7 hours of work only one week! Will I be deported from Canada and banned forever?

diod92

Aug 10, 2018
Hello, I am an international student who feels so devastated to see how my future is to crumble down because of a stupid mistake. I am studying full time a Master Degree, and as my study permit states, I can work up to 20 hours a week during my session.

I have been taking care of never working up to 20 hours, however, last week a co-worker got sick and asked me to take his 7 hour shift. I talked with my boss and he told me not be worried as he was going to manage the hours with the accountant to not get paid more than my 20 hours a week.

Oh big surprise when I received my cheque just one week before I could start to work full time (because of the summer break) and got paid 27 hours. I was so upset with my boss, he just told me "I'm sorry the accountant got confused, what is done is done, you're already paid and nothing could be done". He told me that the following week I could work only 13 hours to compensate (which does not make any sense because after that week I could start to work full-time).

I am so devastated, even I have nightmares about CIC coming at home to knock my door to arrest me and take me to the airport.

What do you suggest me to do? Thank you...

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Others can comment as well but what is done is done so best just put it behind you and not mention it to anyone from now on. Work experience on a study permit cannot be counted towards anything so not as though you will be publicising any experience and as was a one off although I have no insider viewpoint doubt will have any effect on anything just have to hope for the best . Good luck

Evankc

Dec 13, 2018
You are not alone so many international student averange of them hardly pay off there tuition fee so they have no choice instead to drop out to go ahead and work on cash above 20hrs a week which will not be recorded because it was paid cash so no record .....

As for yours was paid into your account which as been recorded but don't worry and don't mention it not anyone the CIC will not found out . Be extremely careful and obey the law

Reactions: gupt07ash

Makolo

May 15, 2019
You are not alone so many international student averange of them hardly pay off there tuition fee so they have no choice instead to drop out to go ahead and work on cash above 20hrs a week which will not be recorded because it was paid cash so no record .....

As for yours was paid into your account which as been recorded but don't worry and don't mention it not anyone the CIC will not found out . Be extremely careful and obey the law
I have a case where a friend just received a mail ..requesting him to file in so he will be audited and I guess it's for taxes ...is he gonna be deported ...? Because drop

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
Hello, I am an international student who feels so devastated to see how my future is to crumble down because of a stupid mistake. I am studying full time a Master Degree, and as my study permit states, I can work up to 20 hours a week during my session.

I have been taking care of never working up to 20 hours, however, last week a co-worker got sick and asked me to take his 7 hour shift. I talked with my boss and he told me not be worried as he was going to manage the hours with the accountant to not get paid more than my 20 hours a week.

Oh big surprise when I received my cheque just one week before I could start to work full time (because of the summer break) and got paid 27 hours. I was so upset with my boss, he just told me "I'm sorry the accountant got confused, what is done is done, you're already paid and nothing could be done". He told me that the following week I could work only 13 hours to compensate (which does not make any sense because after that week I could start to work full-time).

I am so devastated, even I have nightmares about CIC coming at home to knock my door to arrest me and take me to the airport.

Sorry I laughed a bit when I read this :D. Nobody cares about your 7 hours trust me!

First of all no one is monitoring student SIN numbers to look for people working too much and especially not a minor excess like this.

Second no one is going to come find you at your house and deport you for overworking, this has never happened.

Lastly by all accounts IRCC does not have access to your work/TAX records (Someone prove me wrong please) all the people who get in trouble either get caught in the act or admit it themselves to IRCC.

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
I have a case where a friend just received a mail ..requesting him to file in so he will be audited and I guess it's for taxes ...is he gonna be deported ...? Because drop
It looks like your friend didn't file his taxes and/or is being audited.

Not much you can do, never believe anyone when they say "they'll get it adjusted etc.

Honestly just keep your head down and avoid exceeding your hours. Unless you're excessively exceeding your hours, you are unlikely to be reported.

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
Sorry I laughed a bit when I read this :D. Nobody cares about your 7 hours trust me!

First of all no one is monitoring student SIN numbers to look for people working too much and especially not a minor excess like this.

Second no one is going to come find you at your house and deport you for overworking, this has never happened.

Lastly by all accounts IRCC does not have access to your work/TAX records (Someone prove me wrong please) all the people who get in trouble either get caught in the act or admit it themselves to IRCC.
Recently a person got stopped over by police and was arrested for working more then the allotted hours. Generally tax authorities are interested in only collecting money, and don't hand over their money cows to immigration enforcement. However I am assuming IRCC have access to SIN data.

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
Recently a person got stopped over by police and was arrested for working more then the allotted hours. Generally tax authorities are interested in only collecting money, and don't hand over their money cows to immigration enforcement. However I am assuming IRCC have access to SIN data.
If you are referring to the truck driver than yeah being caught in the act is an issue and especially because drivers have to keep logs of their driving with them for safety reasons I believe, so it was very obvious also I believe he admitted to the crime to the officer immediately which is a huge mistake always talk to a lawyer. No reason to think IRCC have access to SIN data.

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
If you are referring to the truck driver than yeah being caught in the act is an issue and especially because drivers have to keep logs of their driving with them for safety reasons I believe, so it was very obvious also I believe he admitted to the crime to the officer immediately which is a huge mistake always talk to a lawyer. No reason to think IRCC have access to SIN data.
They must be having some sort of way of figuring out, otherwise people would not be getting their PGWP rejected. Maybe they check with the employer, don't know what's the case.

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
They must be having some sort of way of figuring out, otherwise people would not be getting their PGWP rejected. Maybe they check with the employer, don't know what's the case.
Possibly calling employer to check if you were full/part time but I think most work rejections are for working when you are not authorized to i.e unscheduled break and so on, because that's obvious from the application form itself when compared to transcripts.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Believe there are various occasions where IRCC have access to CRA data to verify income / taxes paid, for example family sponsorships or any program where income is considered. Ultimately when anyone signs off any immigration application they are to a degree signing away their rights as a condition of their application being processed. Whether IRCC will care about as in this case a one off nobody here knows but seems unlikely, if it were prolonged abuse of the rules then sure expect the worst. In the OPs case what is done is done and whilst easy enough for us all to say don’t worry about it the worst thing OP can do is bring it to anyone’s attention.

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
Believe there are various occasions where IRCC have access to CRA data to verify income / taxes paid, for example family sponsorships or any program where income is considered. Ultimately when anyone signs off any immigration application they are to a degree signing away their rights as a condition of their application being processed. Whether IRCC will care about as in this case a one off nobody here knows but seems unlikely, if it were prolonged abuse of the rules then sure expect the worst. In the OPs case what is done is done and whilst easy enough for us all to say don’t worry about it the worst thing OP can do is bring it to anyone’s attention.
You generally have to get those docs from CRA yourself and include them in the application.

Evankc

Dec 13, 2018
I don't think going for 4years program in University really make sense when you know your sponsore is not fianacialy strong even if he manage pay off 2yrs tuition fee what about the rest 2years since your 20hrs a week can't help.

Maybe every student need to program there self base on there fianacia standard. For undergraduate I think there is a program for 2years in college? then if your sponsore can try pay that off then you will be given extra 2years to work full time before you can reapply again for rest program

shaheer_01

May 17, 2020

Can I get an update please? Did anything go wrong? hope not!

gupt07ash

Star Member
Jan 24, 2019

Bruh wth!!!!
I actually thought this was a prank but no you're not gonna get arrested for that lol.

Just chill and don't repeat the same.