+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I can get into my NOC either through volunteering or through an apprenticeship, does it matter?

Calum

Dec 30, 2023
Hey everyone,

I'm thinking long term about moving to Canada, perhaps in 5 years from now. This is due to loving the country and also family have just moved over there. I have just started learning French in preparation for the extra points!

I am currently volunteering at a drug and alcohol service. This is likely to lead to a permanent role as an addiction worker/substance misuse worker (the job title might not match exactly but that doesn't matter does it?) the noc for this is the following: NOC 2011 - 4212 - Social and community service workers - Unit group (statcan.gc.ca)

My degree is BA in English, so it doesn't match the education requirements.

I have a couple of questions. Firstly, it says ''
  • Previous work experience in a social service environment as a volunteer or in a support capacity may replace formal education requirements for some occupations in this unit group.
''
It says ''SOME'' of these roles, how would I find out if for mine specifically volunteering would count?

2ndly, I might be offered an apprenticeship before undertaking paid work, instead of going straight from volunteering into paid work. Would the apprenticeship count in the same way as volunteering might, or would accepting an apprenticeship invalidate my NOC? I know they can be very strict with this kind of thing, so would it be best to just keep volunteering until they offer a paid role, or would accepting an apprenticeship be ok? I'm worried that if I got into the role through an apprenticeship rather just keep volunteering until I get offered a role, that the apprenticeship might mean that it won't count and then I can't use the NOC?

Many thanks for any help. I know this might seem a bit premature but obviously it's best to know if what I'm doing is correct now! Thank you

EDIT: I just read '
Regarding employment requirements: "Note: The applicant does not need to demonstrate that they meet the “employment requirements” listed in the NOC occupational description."
'
Does this mean the way I get into my NOC doesn't matter, I would still get points for it regardless of how I get into it? And I would get points for my degree even if it's not in the suggested field?

Last edited: