+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I am sick and my PGWP is about to expire, need help to extend my stay

quinnleeqy

Sep 25, 2024
Hello All,

I'm diagnosed with cancer and currently going through treatments. The problem is my PGWP is about to expire in November 2024 and the treatments will be completed by end of December/January (depending on how it goes, currently being optimal). I am applying for visitor visa to extend my stay in Canada so I could complete the treatments, and have a few questions with the application that I really hope I could get some help from here.

1. Purpose of Visit/support letter
Should I state in imm5708e that my purpose of visit is seeking medical treatment? Or should I simply put 'visit'?
I can get a medical letter from the doctor to show that I've been going through treatments and just need a bit more time until I completed/fully recovered. Is it going to be beneficial? Does it classify as 'emergency case' so the processing time is shorter & easier to get approved? Or is it going to make things complicated like they gonna ask me to show my means to cover the treatments etc (which will be my next question)? I have a fund of about 25k so if things go south I hope that's enough.

2. Health Coverage
My treatment is currently covered by Saskatchewan EHealth. Their website mentioned you can renew health card with 'Foreign Passport with Immigration Stamp' but the application process is case specific. I'm hoping I can get it renewed once my visa application approved, otherwise I need to pay for the rest of the treatment. If anyone have any knowledge about it please share with me.

3. Details of visit to Canada
Just under the purpose of visit, it asked to name a person that I will visit. But I already live in Canada and not about to visit anyone. How should I complete this part?

At last, I'm not sure if changing to visitor visa is the best available option for me. I do think of finding closed work permit with LMIA but I don't think I would be in the best shape for work for quite a while. If anyone know of any better option do let me know.

nzkko

Star Member
May 13, 2024
Visitors are typically not eligible for provincial health care. So make sure you will be or get private insurance, otherwise you will have to cover the fees out of pocket.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello All,

I'm diagnosed with cancer and currently going through treatments. The problem is my PGWP is about to expire in November 2024 and the treatments will be completed by end of December/January (depending on how it goes, currently being optimal). I am applying for visitor visa to extend my stay in Canada so I could complete the treatments, and have a few questions with the application that I really hope I could get some help from here.

Should I state in imm5708e that my purpose of visit is seeking medical treatment? Or should I simply put 'visit'?
I can get a medical letter from the doctor to show that I've been going through treatments and just need a bit more time until I completed/fully recovered. Is it going to be beneficial? Does it classify as 'emergency case' so the processing time is shorter & easier to get approved? Or is it going to make things complicated like they gonna ask me to show my means to cover the treatments etc (which will be my next question)? I have a fund of about 25k so if things go south I hope that's enough.

2. Health Coverage
My treatment is currently covered by Saskatchewan EHealth. Their website mentioned you can renew health card with 'Foreign Passport with Immigration Stamp' but the application process is case specific. I'm hoping I can get it renewed once my visa application approved, otherwise I need to pay for the rest of the treatment. If anyone have any knowledge about it please share with me.

Just under the purpose of visit, it asked to name a person that I will visit. But I already live in Canada and not about to visit anyone. How should I complete this part?

At last, I'm not sure if changing to visitor visa is the best available option for me. I do think of finding closed work permit with LMIA but I don't think I would be in the best shape for work for quite a while. If anyone know of any better option do let me know.
1. Yes, you can indicate that you want to remain in Canada longer as a visitor to complete medical treatment. I would certainly include a letter from your Doctor and I think the $25k should be sufficient. I don't think your application will be processed any faster however you'll have implied status while you wait.

2. Unfortunately your health care coverage will end once your PGWP expires. Visitors do not qualify for coverage. You may want to start discussions with your hospital now about this and to understand what the costs for you will be.

3. I would answer this question the same way you answer the first one. You are already in Canada and are looking to extend your stay and change to visitor status to complete treatments.

Good luck and hope you are better soon.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello All,

2. Health Coverage

Can you access care in your home country because if so you should be looking at how to transfer your care before your health coverage runs out? If you have the funds to pay for your care you can do that but depending on the care you are receiving it may be quite expensive.

forevermore76

May 19, 2024
Hello All,

2. Health Coverage

Although I don't support it, but if you only have to stay till end of year you can apply for an extension of your work permit. It'll be refused as you don't qualify but it will put you on maintained status and give you a few months to complete your treatment. You'll also be eligible for healthcare while on maintained status.
This might have consequences on your future applications but currently it's just a loophole with no immediate repercussions. All the best.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Although I don't support it, but if you only have to stay till end of year you can apply for an extension of your work permit. It'll be refused as you don't qualify but it will put you on maintained status and give you a few months to complete your treatment. You'll also be eligible for healthcare while on maintained status.
This might have consequences on your future applications but currently it's just a loophole with no immediate repercussions. All the best.
Not familiar with Saskatchewan health coverage and whether you get coverage with implied status esp without proof of employment. Something to look into for sure.

Reactions: forevermore76

forevermore76

May 19, 2024
Not familiar with Saskatchewan health coverage and whether you get coverage with implied status esp without proof of employment. Something to look into for sure.
I think it should work. OP has to apply for health card extension before expiration of their current permit though. There's option to upload proof of submission for extension, payment, etc and they normally extend it for 6 months from what I've observed.

JamCan56

Star Member
Sep 6, 2021
OP, i hope you're applying for a visitor record if you're in Canada and looking to change your status to visitor as opppsed to a visitor visa