+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I am running out of time (Visitor Visa Extension)

fitter_happier

Star Member
Aug 14, 2016
Hi guys.

I came to Canada in June 2015 on a 2 year IEC work permit. It expired in Mid June of this year and since then I have remained in Canada as a tourist on a visitor Visa. That visitor Visa expires on the 31st of August 2017. On august 1st I applied for another visitor visa extension as I want to stay here a little longer. I am also awaiting my permanent Residency. I believe that should be complete within the next month or two.

The deadline for applying for a visitor Visa extension is 30 days prior to when your visa expires. I submitted on August 1st and I was really hoping to have had some feedback by now but so far nothing. I was going to phone the call center tomorrow at CIC and ask them if they are near a decision.

The thing is, I need to know if I am booking a flight home to Scotland or not. I am in limbo right now. Any advice? I am trying to be patient and wait until the last possible minute but flights keep going up in price and I don't want to book a flight home if I am going to get a visitor extension in the next few days. I assumed that since they say you have to apply no later than 30 days prior to the expiry date, that by now I should have heard what the decision is.

Just another quick question, if I end up not getting approved for a visitor visa extension or if they just take too much time, the flight is around $150 cheaper on September 1st as oppose to August 31st. What are the ramifications of flying out a date later than when my visa expires? I am guessing I'd get into major trouble for it so not risking it but just wondered.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
It's far too early to hear anything about the visitor visa extension. It will take a few months to process. As long as you submitted the extension application before your current visit expired (which you did), you have implied status and can remain in Canada legally while you wait for the extension application to be processed.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Oh - and applying 30 days before the expiry date is a guideline only - it's not required. As long as your application reaches CIC before your current stay expires, you're fine.

mpsqra

Champion Member
Jul 6, 2017
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Hi guys.

I came to Canada in June 2015 on a 2 year IEC work permit. It expired in Mid June of this year and since then I have remained in Canada as a tourist on a visitor Visa. That visitor Visa expires on the 31st of August 2017. On august 1st I applied for another visitor visa extension as I want to stay here a little longer. I am also awaiting my permanent Residency. I believe that should be complete within the next month or two.

The deadline for applying for a visitor Visa extension is 30 days prior to when your visa expires. I submitted on August 1st and I was really hoping to have had some feedback by now but so far nothing. I was going to phone the call center tomorrow at CIC and ask them if they are near a decision.

The thing is, I need to know if I am booking a flight home to Scotland or not. I am in limbo right now. Any advice? I am trying to be patient and wait until the last possible minute but flights keep going up in price and I don't want to book a flight home if I am going to get a visitor extension in the next few days. I assumed that since they say you have to apply no later than 30 days prior to the expiry date, that by now I should have heard what the decision is.

Just another quick question, if I end up not getting approved for a visitor visa extension or if they just take too much time, the flight is around $150 cheaper on September 1st as oppose to August 31st. What are the ramifications of flying out a date later than when my visa expires? I am guessing I'd get into major trouble for it so not risking it but just wondered.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/index.asp
Visitor extension
These applications can be submitted online or by paper.

104 days

Working on applications received on May 5, 2017.

Paper

119 days

Working on applications received on April 20, 2017.

TypsyGypsy

Star Member
Apr 6, 2017
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/index.asp
Visitor extension
These applications can be submitted online or by paper.

104 days

Working on applications received on May 5, 2017.

Paper

119 days

Working on applications received on April 20, 2017.
Hi guys.

You would have implied status until you receive either your PR or new VR, as long as you did in fact send it out before it expired. My new VR took 6 months to hear back. I applied for a 1 year VR and by the time I actually got it, there was 6 months left. I've filled out 2 since waiting for my PR. Hope that helps. Good Luck!!