+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I am a Canadian citizen and want to bring my bf to Canada

MickaelSM90

Oct 2, 2015
Hello!

I am a 23 year old Canadian and I would like to know my options on how to get immigrant status for my boyfriend. We met 4 years ago in Portugal and have been dating for over 2 years now. He has come to visit various times and I have stayed for extended periods of time there. We've already been told that the fastest and easiest process is by getting married and then apply for sponsorship, but we want to keep that option as a last resort for now (doesn't mean it won't happen in the future). He is currently waiting on his last grade to complete his bachelor in software engineering, and wants to find a job here in Canada so that we can move in toghether.

Can we be considered common law and go through the sponsorship even if we didn't tecnically live toghether for a full year, but have proof that we've known each other for a long time and dated for over 2 years?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
MickaelSM90 said:
Can we be considered common law and go through the sponsorship even if we didn't tecnically live toghether for a full year, but have proof that we've known each other for a long time and dated for over 2 years?
No you can't. You must be married or have lived together 12 continuous months to be common-law, before you could apply to sponsor him for PR. Those are your only 2 options.

Otherwise if he wants to work in Canada he'll need to try and find a way to get a work permit independently.

MickaelSM90

Oct 2, 2015
So how does one prove we've been living together for over a year? Since he can't work, therefor no income, it will be hard to find a place of our own. Will both of us living with my parents for a year qualify him to be sponsored as common-law?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
MickaelSM90 said:
So how does one prove we've been living together for over a year? Since he can't work, therefor no income, it will be hard to find a place of our own. Will both of us living with my parents for a year qualify him to be sponsored as common-law?
Yes living with your parents would certainly count. You would just need to have an official rental agreement with them that would serve as the proof (you can just create an agreement yourself).

Of course if he's just a visitor here he would be stuck doing nothing for an entire year (unless he gets a study permit to go to school, or something like a working holiday/IEC permit to work).

redfox05

Star Member
Sep 26, 2015
United Kingdom
NOC Code......
2173 Software engineers and designers
App. Filed.......
25/01/2016
AOR Received.
25/01/2016
Med's Request
Upfront Medical
Med's Done....
29/01/2016
Passport Req..
07/06/2016
VISA ISSUED...
06/2016 (Not exact for security)
LANDED..........
07/2016 (Not exact for security)
Me and my girlfriend are in the same position! We should have a chat. Message me :)

P.s. I'm also in the software engineering field (graduated with a Masters in Computer Science)

MickaelSM90 said:
Hello!

I am a 23 year old Canadian and I would like to know my options on how to get immigrant status for my boyfriend. We met 4 years ago in Portugal and have been dating for over 2 years now. He has come to visit various times and I have stayed for extended periods of time there. We've already been told that the fastest and easiest process is by getting married and then apply for sponsorship, but we want to keep that option as a last resort for now (doesn't mean it won't happen in the future). He is currently waiting on his last grade to complete his bachelor in software engineering, and wants to find a job here in Canada so that we can move in toghether.

89_gard

Dec 14, 2014
MickaelSM90 said:
Not sure how you'd be able to pull that off in the first place. Software engineering is reasonably in demand so he can try applying for a work permit or see if a company will sponsor a work permit.

Otherwise he can try to continue his studies in Canada (expensive route).

Just remember its important to show ties to back home while coming in on a study visa or visiting as a tourist.

Finley

Star Member
Jun 29, 2015
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-03-2016
Doc's Request.
09-03-2016
AOR Received.
14-04-2016
File Transfer...
15-04-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
20-10-2015
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
DM 17-05-16, CoPR 20-05-16
I would suggest that he apply for a working holiday visa through the IEC or contact SWAP to check his eligibility. http://www.swap.ca/in_eng/