+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I am a Canadian citizen and my wife's visitor visa was just denied. HELP!!!

Trevor19

Aug 20, 2024
Hello there,

I am a Canadian citizen living and working in Indonesia. I married my wife, who is an Indonesian citizen, two years ago. We were planning on visiting Canada for Christmas this year, but this morning her visa application was denied.

At the time of application we had not yet bought a return ticket, but have so since applying, and the IRCC said her finances were not sufficient. She does work here but her bank account does not show that she has sufficient savings as most of our money is kept in a joint account that is primarily under my name (Indonesia has strange banking laws and her name cannot be displayed on our bank statements). My parents live in Canada and have provided a statement letter inviting us to stay with them.

Is there any advice for us so that we can better our chances of re-applying and receiving a more favourable outcome this time?

Thank you kindly.

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022
Hello there,

I am a Canadian citizen living and working in Indonesia. I married my wife, who is an Indonesian citizen, two years ago. We were planning on visiting Canada for Christmas this year, but this morning her visa application was denied.

At the time of application we had not yet bought a return ticket, but have so since applying, and the IRCC said her finances were not sufficient. She does work here but her bank account does not show that she has sufficient savings as most of our money is kept in a joint account that is primarily under my name (Indonesia has strange banking laws and her name cannot be displayed on our bank statements). My parents live in Canada and have provided a statement letter inviting us to stay with them.

Is there any advice for us so that we can better our chances of re-applying and receiving a more favourable outcome this time?

Thank you kindly.
IMHO, you should attach the joint statement of account showing enough fund. If you have an account in Canada, attach its statement as well. Further provide a letter of support to her stating that you are married to her and will cover her expenses in this visit. Lastly, include a proof of marriage like marriage certificate or something to prove the relationship. That should take care of it... do not forget to check appropriate answer in visa refusal question in the application or your wife will get banned for 5 years.

@scylla Any other suggestion?

Reactions: Trevor19

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Hello there,

Thank you kindly.
So, when I got my spouse (then girl friend) her visa from Indonesia, I included a letter of my financial support, a copy of my employment contract in Indonesia with expiry date, a copy of my KITAS with an expiration beyond the travel dates, a letter from her university confirming her enrollment and the period of time she would be allowed to be away. We also made sure she had a really clean travel history to Singapore and a trip to Australia. Hope that helps. We also added funds to her account about 6 months prior to the application (they only wanted 3 months statements at that time) to make sure she had a reasonably healthy bank balance.

How long a visit did you ask for? Keep it to 2 weeks.

aman gill

Star Member
Nov 8, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 6 2013
AOR Received.
May 14 2013
Med's Done....
May 2 2013
Passport Req..
Aip - 28 jan 2014
VISA ISSUED...
Dm- 25march 2014
LANDED..........
23 April 2014
Hello there,

Thank you kindly.
its very hard to get visit visa for spouse coz ircc thinks you want to skip the line of going through pr application thts why you applying visit visa its better just to apply for her pr

Trevor19

Aug 20, 2024
Thank you very much for the pointers. Most of what you suggested were things we did in the application process as is. I think we simply did not provide enough information. While we did provide our marriage certificates, I do not think it was stated clearly anywhere that I live and work in Indonesia.

Also, what did you mean by checking the visa questions/five year ban???
Scary.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you very much for the pointers. Most of what you suggested were things we did in the application process as is. I think we simply did not provide enough information. While we did provide our marriage certificates, I do not think it was stated clearly anywhere that I live and work in Indonesia.

Scary.
Would also include evidence of your ties to Indonesia like employment, property, etc. as evidence that she is truly a visitor and you don’t intend on remaining in Canada

Trevor19

Aug 20, 2024
So, when I got my spouse (then girl friend) her visa from Indonesia, I included a letter of my financial support, a copy of my employment contract in Indonesia with expiry date, a copy of my KITAS with an expiration beyond the travel dates, a letter from her university confirming her enrollment and the period of time she would be allowed to be away. We also made sure she had a really clean travel history to Singapore and a trip to Australia. Hope that helps. We also added funds to her account about 6 months prior to the application (they only wanted 3 months statements at that time) to make sure she had a reasonably healthy bank balance.

How long a visit did you ask for? Keep it to 2 weeks.
Thank you very much for the wonderful tips. I never thought to include a letter from myself about financial support, my KITAS nor my employment contract. I think those are excellent additional documents that I had never considered. She has a clean travel record, having travelled on a Schengen visa a few years ago with no violations or issues.

We are planning on staying for a month...two weeks is simply not enough time. Do you think that has been a factor in being rejected?

Thank you very much again.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
"We are planning on staying for a month...two weeks is simply not enough time. Do you think that has been a factor in being rejected?"

Most suggest requesting 2-3 weeks in the application. Generally, despite what's been requested, CBSA generally allow the full 6 months (no guarantee) at the point of entry. If that's the case, then a months stay isn't an issue once you clear immigration. It like a dumb game IRCC plays with applicants that CBSA doesn't get into. The additional documents from you seem to shore up what IRCC is really looking for......that visitors are, in fact, planning to go home.
If you're applying again, make sure you include the first refusal, or it creates a whole other can of worms.

Good luck.

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022
Scary.
She has one visa refusal. There are questions in Visa application (towards the end) where they ask for any visa refusals. Do remember to checking "Yes" and a small description of refusal.

Many people miss it and end up getting 5 years ban due to misrep.

Be CAREFUL while answering 2b) and 2c) questions.

Last edited:

Trevor19

Aug 20, 2024
Folks,

I have one more question for you all.
If my wife is visiting my family (her in-laws), does that officially constitute visiting family, or should she be applying under the guise of a tourist?

Thanks in advance.