+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How would a person know whether they have been banned from entering Canada?

goldirocks

Sep 25, 2009
Would a person be advised by the Immigration Department somehow if they have been banned from entering Canada? Or would it just come as a surprise the next time they try to cross the border or apply for something?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

goldirocks said:
Would a person be advised by the Immigration Department somehow if they have been banned from entering Canada? Or would it just come as a surprise the next time they try to cross the border or apply for something?
Do you really expect that CIC would inform everyone in the world that they are inadmissible to Canada? They showup at the border/airport, found to be inadmissible they are refused and sent home.

PMM

goldirocks

Sep 25, 2009
Perhaps I should have been more specific - what I meant was, if they have been denied a visa for a certain reason and are banned from Canada as a result of the denial, would they be informed that they are under a ban once they receive information about the denial. I am not talking about random people who are inadmissible because of criminal records, etc.

chandan

Star Member
Sep 16, 2009
If you are not talking about being inadmissible due to criminal record then what are you talking about exactly? And why was your visa denied? If you could answer these questions clearly then people would be able to help you with your query.

goldirocks

Sep 25, 2009
I know that in some situations, if a visa officer denies your TRV you can be deemed inadmissible for two years. If that was the case, would they tell you when they deny your visa?

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
goldirocks said:
I know that in some situations, if a visa officer denies your TRV you can be deemed inadmissible for two years. If that was the case, would they tell you when they deny your visa?
I think there is a record of when/where you made an application, but I don't think that being denied a visa should make you inadmissible for two years.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

job_seeker said:
goldirocks said:
I think there is a record of when/where you made an application, but I don't think that being denied a visa should make you inadmissible for two years.
Only if the person misrepresented themselves on the application.

PMM

goldirocks

Sep 25, 2009
And also I believe if it's a marriage visa you're requesting, and they deny you based on finding your relationship one of convenience, which can often be done incorrectly. If this were the situation or if they found out you misrepresented yourself or any other situation where you would be deemed inadmissible for two years, I'm wondering whether you would be advised of this or just have to get a nasty surprise the next time you applied for something.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
goldirocks said:
And also I believe if it's a marriage visa you're requesting, and they deny you based on finding your relationship one of convenience, which can often be done incorrectly. If this were the situation or if they found out you misrepresented yourself or any other situation where you would be deemed inadmissible for two years, I'm wondering whether you would be advised of this or just have to get a nasty surprise the next time you applied for something.
I am sorry. I did not quite get the scenario. Were you in a spousal sponsorship case before and the officer denied the sponsorship on account of him finding out the the marriage was not a genuine one but just a ploy to be able to enter Canada? Were you ever given an exclusion order?

goldirocks

Sep 25, 2009
job_seeker said:
I am sorry. I did not quite get the scenario. Were you in a spousal sponsorship case before and the officer denied the sponsorship on account of him finding out the the marriage was not a genuine one but just a ploy to be able to enter Canada? Were you ever given an exclusion order?
No, certainly not. I was simply asking the question as a hypothetical one - if a visa officer or immigration officer finds you inadmissible, would you know about it or would you have to go to the time and expense of flying to Canada to find out that you could not enter. Is there a way to check this on your passport?

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
goldirocks said:
No, certainly not. I was simply asking the question as a hypothetical one - if a visa officer or immigration officer finds you inadmissible, would you know about it or would you have to go to the time and expense of flying to Canada to find out that you could not enter. Is there a way to check this on your passport?
If you are from a visa-exempt country, you'll know you are inadmissible once the officer at POE denies your entry into Canada, otherwise, you'll know when you apply for a visa and the Visa Officer gives you a negative response to your application. If you had applied for TRVs before and the passport you used when you applied is still the one you're using, there will be a stamp on the page/s when/where you made the application/s.