+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to Update spouse name in study permit

picnic88

Sep 3, 2014
Hello all..

I got my visa for fall'15. After that I got married..Kindly let me know how should I update this information with CIC?? Do I need to update this before I leave India or after reached Canada I can update??

Your reply can really help me out...

Thanks in advance

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You should update ASAP. Absolutely do not wait and spring this on the agents at the border. As for how to do it? Um. Start with contacting the embassy/consulate that you've been in contact with to get the student visa.

seena

Apr 30, 2015
but Picnic

as you have already discussed it with many people before... i remember

mostly was suggesting you dont tell embassy about your marriage as it can be effect on your case .... you should apply separately or i mean to say your husband should apply for visa separately .... later ..

OR OR OR

yeah this is really critical situation

could you please consult to any lawyer (consultant) who can better suggest you
this is not a simple case..really

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
seena said:
but Picnic

as you have already discussed it with many people before... i remember

mostly was suggesting you dont tell embassy about your marriage as it can be effect on your case .... you should apply separately or i mean to say your husband should apply for visa separately .... later ..

OR OR OR

yeah this is really critical situation

could you please consult to any lawyer (consultant) who can better suggest you
this is not a simple case..really
1. Don't hire an immigration consultant. Hire a reputable lawyer if you feel you need good advice.
2. It looks (to me) that you are getting some bad advice. I am not an expert on student visas (though I did have one) but I would be very wary of assuming that you can "sort it all out when you get to Canada." Border guards and CIC typically view newly declared spouses very suspiciously. Much more suspiciously than those who are declared before the student arrives. Some spouses are barred from coming to Canada.

Talk to your school's international student centre.
They can give you good advice and they can advocate for you. Start with them. Prioritize their advice and if you think you need a lawyer, ask them for a recommendation.

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
seena said:
How can it affect one's case? Do you have any proof or information to back up this fear?

seena

Apr 30, 2015
eileenf said:
How can it affect one's case? Do you have any proof or information to back up this fear?
Dear

I also don't know about that but most of the people in this forum suggested her not to declare it now ... I don't know that's why before YOU suggested her to hire lawyer I had suggested her to hire lawyer .... so don't ask me .... ask from her .....

picnic88

Sep 3, 2014
Guys..Thank you all of you..

Here I understand what all of you suggested..I am okay with all..

But the thing is that..My marriage is fixed & will be on july 30th and I am going on August 16th. So, I just wanted to update with CIC..Now ques is when should I update?

If I don't update now than i'll enter Canada as single status and later while will update they might ask me why I didn't informed them earlier?

AND IF

I do now, I don't know whether it'll give any effect on my permit or not..

I am really tensed, Kindly support with right information, I checked in google & CIC, no where it is mentioned