+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to specify Outland on application

OttawaHere

Dec 23, 2014
Hello

I am finalizing my application to sponsor my wife. She is currently with me on a visitor's visa but we want the application to be processed as an Outland application to expedite the processing time.

Can someone tell me how I would specify/request that the application be processed as an Outland application? I understand that I need to send the application to Mississauga for them to process me as the Sponsor first, but then how do I request that her application be processed as an Outland? The address that we specified as her current residence is with me in Canada ... would that automatically route it as an inland application (which we do NOT want) ?

Her passport/nationality is French but she was living in SE Asia when we met and now she is living with me ... but we want her application to be processed as outland (via Paris as that is where it would normally be processed by the visa office based on nationality).

Thanks,
OttawaHere

DuberBlue

Sep 6, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-03-2013
AOR Received.
13-03-2013
Med's Done....
18-12-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
16-09-2013
VISA ISSUED...
25-10-2013
LANDED..........
26-10-2013
The CIC website will direct you to one or another set of documents to fill out, depending on which link you click here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/spouse-apply-how.asp

Under 1. Get The Application Package, just click the link by "If your spouse, partner or dependent child lives outside Canada"...
That set of documents is what constitutes an "Outland" application.

This is a common point of confusion. Your wife can be with you the entire time and you can still apply Outland. It's exactly what mine did. All she will have to do is ensure she maintains a legal status in Canada, which usually means applying for an extension to the Visitor Record when the time comes.

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
DuberBlue said:
The CIC website will direct you to one or another set of documents to fill out, depending on which link you click here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/spouse-apply-how.asp

Under 1. Get The Application Package, just click the link by "If your spouse, partner or dependent child lives outside Canada"...
That set of documents is what constitutes an "Outland" application.

This is a common point of confusion. Your wife can be with you the entire time and you can still apply Outland. It's exactly what mine did. All she will have to do is ensure she maintains a legal status in Canada, which usually means applying for an extension to the Visitor Record when the time comes.
Yes, the wording on the CIC site is terrible, I wonder how many people get caught up in applying inland just because their spouse is in Canada.

Ottawahere, you MUST fill out the correct set of documents to apply outland, as Duberblue linked. Ignore the CIC wording and fill out the one for spouses residing OUTSIDE of Canada. The application gives you the addresses to send the documents to, there are 2 addresses depending on if you are using regular mail or a courier.

Outland documents direct link: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp

DuberBlue

Sep 6, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-03-2013
AOR Received.
13-03-2013
Med's Done....
18-12-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
16-09-2013
VISA ISSUED...
25-10-2013
LANDED..........
26-10-2013
Aquakitty said:
Yes, the wording on the CIC site is terrible, I wonder how many people get caught up in applying inland just because their spouse is in Canada.
I know I nearly did :) In the end I rationalized that my wife wasn't really a RESIDENT of Canada (despite the fact she'd been living with me for three years by that point ;) ). I didn't find this forum until the app was in the mail. Wish I'd found it sooner.

Also, notice that the terms "Inland" and "Outland" aren't actually used on the CIC site? :O

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
DuberBlue said:
I know I nearly did :) In the end I rationalized that my wife wasn't really a RESIDENT of Canada (despite the fact she'd been living with me for three years by that point ;) ). I didn't find this forum until the app was in the mail. Wish I'd found it sooner.

Also, notice that the terms "Inland" and "Outland" aren't actually used on the CIC site? :O
I updated my post with the link to the actual documents. Yes, I noticed that too. I have no idea why CIC wants to keep people in the dark like that, even the links to the documents are hard to tell apart.

Not only that but with the misleading processing times, people often think outland is slower than inland, when the opposite is often true.

OttawaHere

Dec 23, 2014
Thanks for the responses everybody. NOW I know what to do! :)

Thank goodness I looked here before going further !!

lleahdoll

Nov 12, 2012
USA
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
Sep 9th, 2014
Doc's Request.
May 5th, 2015 (CSQ requested)
AOR Received.
Oct 14th, 2014
File Transfer...
Nov 14th, 2014
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
July 29th, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
DM: Aug 1st, 2015 COPR: Aug 6th, 2015
LANDED..........
Sep 1st, 2015
I will suggest adding a cover letter of some sort stating you are applying outland. It doesn't happen very often, but CIC could accidentally file you inland, as they did with my application.

Good luck! :)

Galano1213

Jun 30, 2013
PEI
Category........
Visa Office......
Havana Cuba
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-07-2014
Med's Done....
23-04-2014
Make sure you put outland on the envelope and on the pages of the application as mine was put in inland by mistake and held the application up for 4 months before it got straightened out