+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to show freelancing work in express entry profile ?

Nitesh Borad

Apr 17, 2021
I have work experience of total 8 years, from which I worked 6.5 years for a company and then I started working as another one but as a freelancer. Now I am confused that how can I show this 1.5 years of freelancing work in my express entry profile and how can I prove this by submitting relevant documents ?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I have work experience of total 8 years, from which I worked 6.5 years for a company and then I started working as another one but as a freelancer. Now I am confused that how can I show this 1.5 years of freelancing work in my express entry profile and how can I prove this by submitting relevant documents ?
You show contracts, receipts, pay stubs, reference letters, incorporation (if you have your own business number) etc. As stated on the Express Entry site for mandatory documents,
  • if the applicant is self-employed, articles of incorporation or other evidence of business ownership, evidence of self-employment income and documentation from third-party individuals indicating the service provided along with payment details (self-declared main duties or affidavits are not acceptable proof of self-employed work experience).

Reactions: Nitesh Borad

Nitesh Borad

Apr 17, 2021
You show contracts, receipts, pay stubs, reference letters, incorporation (if you have your own business number) etc. As stated on the Express Entry site for mandatory documents,
  • if the applicant is self-employed, articles of incorporation or other evidence of business ownership, evidence of self-employment income and documentation from third-party individuals indicating the service provided along with payment details (self-declared main duties or affidavits are not acceptable proof of self-employed work experience).
Thanks for quick response.

I am also confused about mentioning freelancing work in my Express Entry profile, can you please help me with that too ?

Under work History section - I have tick box for "Self-employed work", but what to mention in "Employer/company name (required) " ? I do not have a company registered.

And in worst case scenario if my current client don't provide me reference letter and contract paper, how can I show my freelancing work history ?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thanks for quick response.

I am also confused about mentioning freelancing work in my Express Entry profile, can you please help me with that too ?

Under work History section - I have tick box for "Self-employed work", but what to mention in "Employer/company name (required) " ? I do not have a company registered.

And in worst case scenario if my current client don't provide me reference letter and contract paper, how can I show my freelancing work history ?
You are the employer. If you can’t get contracts, receipts and/or contracts, then what do you have to prove work. You have to have some paper trail that you are meeting the requirements of the NOC.

Nitesh Borad

Apr 17, 2021
You are the employer. If you can’t get contracts, receipts and/or contracts, then what do you have to prove work. You have to have some paper trail that you are meeting the requirements of the NOC.
I can show bank statement for salary credits.
I work as Software Engineer and my client is a Canadian company, there are few contacts I have in that company. Is it possible to get reference letter from them and submit to my OINP application ?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I can show bank statement for salary credits.
I work as Software Engineer and my client is a Canadian company, there are few contacts I have in that company. Is it possible to get reference letter from them and submit to my OINP application ?
If you are a client then you should get a reference letter from them.

Nitesh Borad

Apr 17, 2021
If you are a client then you should get a reference letter from them.
I am a freelancer and I am working full-time for the client, but haven't got any reference letter or any paper proof. Can someone from that company write a reference letter for me ? Is it feasible solution ?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I am a freelancer and I am working full-time for the client, but haven't got any reference letter or any paper proof. Can someone from that company write a reference letter for me ? Is it feasible solution ?
Yes, if that person oversees your work. If you are full-time for a Canadian company as a freelancer ask HR.

Nitesh Borad

Apr 17, 2021
Yes, if that person oversees your work. If you are full-time for a Canadian company as a freelancer ask HR.
HR is unresponsive at the moment, which is a major problem, but I can ask my direct supervisor or Training & On-boarding manager, Will that work for me?