+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to sever ties with home country

statusq

Oct 25, 2014
Hello, sorry if this question's been answered before. If so, can you please direct me to the answer? I couldn't find it!

After about a year of non-communication, immigration has requested additional documents from me and my Chinese wife. On thing they want to see is proof that we're severing ties with China. We have no car or house to sell. I assume that all we can do to fulfil this criteria is to send a bunch of money to my Canadian bank. I was thinking $10,000 CDN would suffice. Does anybody know exactly what Canada Immigration wants to see in this respect?

Thanks for your help!
William

Lammawitch

Champion Member
Dec 21, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Is this for a PR card renewal?

I've never heard of a requirement to sever ties to country of origin??

Ah, I've just read your other posts: this is for a spousal sponsorship? Is that right? Are CIC asking you to show your intent to return to & settle in Canada (rather than sever ties to China)?

statusq

Oct 25, 2014
Yes, sorry, it's for my wife's PR, and I'm sponsoring her. We're both in China now. I guess I need to show that both of us are taking steps to leave China and to go to Canada long term.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
statusq said:
Yes, sorry, it's for my wife's PR, and I'm sponsoring her. We're both in China now. I guess I need to show that both of us are taking steps to leave China and to go to Canada long term.
Post your question to the Family Sponsorship section of the forum.

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
statusq said:
A friend of mine was in a similar situation. He was asked to provide proof that he and his wife had both resigned from their jobs, terminated their house lease, sold cars, etc.

Lammawitch

Champion Member
Dec 21, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
statusq said:
Ok, right. As mentioned by others, ask the question in the Family sponsorship section :)

CIC need to see evidence of your intentions to move to & settle in Canada. You/she are not required to sever China ties. You need to show the steps you are taking to move back to Canada (accommodation, job search, etc etc)