+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to retain PR card if I need to work out of Dubai

Aarathi

Feb 27, 2018
Hi,

I am awaiting my PR card but have now got an opportunity to work in Dubai which I would not like to refuse. If in case I still want to retain my PR card in Canada which is valid for 5 years, can I work in Dubai for the first three years and then shift to Canada and stay there during the 4th and 5th year? Is this legal? Also during my 2 year stay in Canada am I not allowed to visit other countries? Any help would be appreciated as Canada is still where I would want to settle. Thanks!!

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Sure from your initial landing you can stay out of the country for near 3 years but if you do so you must return to Canada just before those 3 years are up and stay for 2 years without leaving Canada at all to accumulate minimum 730 days. Generally advisable to accumulate more than exactly 730 days to minimise chance of a secondary review when renewing a PR card.

After the first 5 years the 2 out of 5 becomes a rolling 5 years and is assessed afresh each time you enter the country.

Important to remember the pr card validity , issue and end date is irrelevant for the residency obligation it is your landing date that counts for the initial 5 years.

Last edited: