+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

how to record implied status in Physical Presence Calculator

GG_wife

Feb 9, 2015
There is no drop down for applied status...not sure how to enter it

I have two visitor visas, and a work visa while waiting for PR within Canada

here's the timeline (changed the dates, but kept the length of time)

Visitor visa #1 between: 2015- Feb-01 and 2015-Apr-01

Got PR Letter of Acknowledgement on 2015-March-25 that they received my PR application it provided applied status

Visitor visa #2 between: 2015-June-08 and 2015-July-25 (this was the result of me applying for visitor via extension as soon as I arrived to Canada, because at that time I did not know I can have applied status)

Work visa (Type 27) between : 2015-June-01 and 2017-June-01 (got as part of the then new law that spouses got work visa while waiting PR)

Got PR on 2017- March-01

I have not left Canada at all between my first visitor via and receiving PR : so between 2015-Feb-01 and 2017- March-01.

Since I have all these visas I assume I have to use the dates on them OR do I just enter my timeline regardless the dates I have visa for?

eg only two lines in the calculator

Visitor: 2015- Feb-01 to 2015-June-01
Temporary Resident Permit Holder: 2015-June-01 to 2017- March-01

Or should this second on be Temporary Work

thanks in advance for the advice!

*Edit*
I found the relevant thread here: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/citizenship-and-implied-status.620628/

Last edited:

elwaver

Star Member
Jul 6, 2017
To the best of my knowledge, Implied Status simply means you continue to be a Temporary Resident in your most recent status (e.g. Temp. Worker, International Student, etc.) until such time your application (for whatever other status) is approved. Hope this helps.

Reactions: GG_wife

GG_wife

Feb 9, 2015
To the best of my knowledge, Implied Status simply means you continue to be a Temporary Resident in your most recent status (e.g. Temp. Worker, International Student, etc.) until such time your application (for whatever other status) is approved. Hope this helps.
Thanks! Yes, implied status is what I meant :)

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
CAUTION: Best to have a margin over the minimum presence requirement that is more days PLUS SOME than credit for presence with implied or visitor status.

All days in Canada with Temporary Resident status, and within the five year eligibility period, should be appropriately declared in the presence calculation. These days should count. As @elwaver suggested, list the date status was obtained and for its "to" date, list the end date of that status including the implied extension of it.

BUT there are many reports of problems related to counting implied and visitor status days. Especially implied status days since IRCC's records may not verify the individual's status during those periods of time. But the reported problems also involve credit for days in Canada with visitor status.

THUS . . . in addition to a margin above the minimum requirement the prudent applicant will wait to apply with, generally (10 to 30 or so extra days), those applicants relying on implied or visitor status credit should wait at least as much longer to apply as the number of days credit for implied and visitor status.

Many suggest ten days is enough of a margin for most applicants. I tend to think at least a month unless there are reasons why it is better to wait to have an even bigger margin. One of the reasons for waiting to have an even bigger margin is to cover credits based on implied or visitor status periods of time.

Example: If total number of days credit (at the one-half day credit for each day present) for implied and visitor status is 62 days, the PRUDENT applicant will wait until the online presence calculator shows they have a total 1167 days credit (10 day margin anyone should have plus 62 days to cover the implied and visitor status time), or in my more conservative approach, 1187 days credit (30 for a basic margin plus the 62 days).

There is little or no point in rushing the application if that increases the risk of non-routine processing and a longer wait to actually take the oath, sometimes a much longer wait.

Waiting to apply later can often mean becoming a Canadian citizen sooner.

This is particularly applicable for an applicant who has been spending a significant amount of time abroad over the course of the last five years.

There is no drop down for applied status...not sure how to enter it

I have two visitor visas, and a work visa while waiting for PR within Canada

here's the timeline (changed the dates, but kept the length of time)

Visitor visa #1 between: 2015- Feb-01 and 2015-Apr-01

Got PR Letter of Acknowledgement on 2015-March-25 that they received my PR application it provided applied status

Visitor visa #2 between: 2015-June-08 and 2015-July-25 (this was the result of me applying for visitor via extension as soon as I arrived to Canada, because at that time I did not know I can have applied status)

Work visa (Type 27) between : 2015-June-01 and 2017-June-01 (got as part of the then new law that spouses got work visa while waiting PR)

Got PR on 2017- March-01

I have not left Canada at all between my first visitor via and receiving PR : so between 2015-Feb-01 and 2017- March-01.

Since I have all these visas I assume I have to use the dates on them OR do I just enter my timeline regardless the dates I have visa for?

eg only two lines in the calculator

Visitor: 2015- Feb-01 to 2015-June-01
Temporary Resident Permit Holder: 2015-June-01 to 2017- March-01

Or should this second on be Temporary Work

thanks in advance for the advice!

*Edit*
I found the relevant thread here: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/citizenship-and-implied-status.620628/

Reactions: GG_wife

GG_wife

Feb 9, 2015
Thank you very much! I have 1065 days as PR and 710 days pre PR which I believe I can count as 355 days towards being present.( I have visitor and work visa for that 710 days with paper trail.) The implied status is on top of that.
If I remove days spent outside Canada then all days with paper trail +PR gives me 1310 days.
I am so at the beginning at the process so I guess I was worrying for nothing, but your and @elwaver responses are so valuable to understand the process so thank you very much!