+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to improve IELTS General - Reading?

CEC_2013

Star Member
Jan 7, 2013
I got very low band in IELTS - General reading - only 5 band.

I need to improve and want to achieve at least 6 band means need to correct 30 questions out of 40.

Need some advice from senior and had done IELTS exam.

AEHelp

Oct 15, 2012
I'd recommend signing up for an IELTS course online to improve your scores.

Other than that, I'd recommend reading newspapers, magazines, and other "popular" writing. Look at advertisements in print as well. Expand your general vocabulary and increase your fluency by reading as much general English as possible.

If you'd like, you can PM me and I can send you some more info.

Johnny31

VIP Member
Dec 25, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CEC_2013 said:
Could you please share some hints... for reading.
I taught ESL and IELTS in Vancouver and I tell this to all my students, there are no real "hints" for any IELTS exams. The only way to improve your score is to do more practice. The format of the tests are all the same, if you do more practice, your score will improve.

I wouldn't recommend to read just any English articles or magazines because they have nothing to do with IELTS. There are many free-IELTS materials online, I would recommend using those and go through the reading practices to help you improve your score.

AEHelp

Oct 15, 2012
I disagree. I think there are plenty of hints, tips, and help a person can get other than just "do practice tests".

My advice was the most general one can give -read a lot. However, there are many IELTS-specific strategies which are very valuable.

CEC_2013

Star Member
Jan 7, 2013
Could you please send me some generic hint, In fact, I have checked on google and grab some tips then tried some with dummy exam but did not turned with good score.

I need to get at least 30 question out of 40 from IELTS General exam otherwise It will very difficult to apply for Canadian experience - PR.

Johnny31

VIP Member
Dec 25, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AEHelp said:
I disagree. I think there are plenty of hints, tips, and help a person can get other than just "do practice tests".

My advice was the most general one can give -read a lot. However, there are many IELTS-specific strategies which are very valuable.
That's my advice to my students, and in the 6 years that I've taught in Vancouver, it worked well for my students.

Johnny31

VIP Member
Dec 25, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CEC_2013 said:
Could you please send me some generic hint, In fact, I have checked on google and grab some tips then tried some with dummy exam but did not turned with good score.

I need to get at least 30 question out of 40 from IELTS General exam otherwise It will very difficult to apply for Canadian experience - PR.
This is from hmisabpk's post regarding "Reading" hints:

Reading :

Kindly ensure to understand the instruction, I have heard most of the people lost marks due to misunderstood the instructions. Ensure to put your answers within the word limit define in the instructions. Instead of reading the para first start reading the questions and try to find out whether the answer carries number or word. Say in what year____(You can understand it's a year). We will built a_____(Answer should be a word). Most of the time answers keeps on coming in the sequence only so don't need to read the para again and again(Don't stuck at one question and try to find out answer in one minutes time else leave the question). Don't leave any question there is no negative marking in whole of the test. Ensure you keep on posting your answer directly to the answer sheet(Check the spelling carefully else your answer will be wrong). Ensure to keep watch in front of you. Ensure you score maximum marks in this section as all the answers are in front of you only you just need to find the same.

There are many free materials you could find from the internet, there is no need to join any pay plans in order to improve.

Good Luck!

gmail04

Jan 10, 2013
Johnny31 said:

Reading :

Kindly ensure to understand the instruction, I have heard most of the people lost marks due to misunderstood the instructions. Ensure to put your answers within the word limit define in the instructions. Instead of reading the para first start reading the questions and try to find out whether the answer carries number or word. Say in what year____(You can understand it's a year). We will built a_____(Answer should be a word). Most of the time answers keeps on coming in the sequence only so don't need to read the para again and again(Don't stuck at one question and try to find out answer in one minutes time else leave the question). Don't leave any question there is no negative marking in whole of the test. Ensure you keep on posting your answer directly to the answer sheet(Check the spelling carefully else your answer will be wrong). Ensure to keep watch in front of you. Ensure you score maximum marks in this section as all the answers are in front of you only you just need to find the same.

There are many free materials you could find from the internet, there is no need to join any pay plans in order to improve.

Good Luck!
Thx for hint!

AEHelp

Oct 15, 2012
Johnny31 said:

Reading :

Good Luck!
Once again, I respectfully disagree with you.

Free materials, such as that "tip" you posted, are written in very poor English, and are difficult to understand even for native speakers.

As with anything in life, you get what you pay for. If you want free, you're going to get poorly written information of dubious quality, just like the hint above. If you want something well-written and well-researched, and you want to maximize your study time, then you have to pay a little bit of money.

I am involved in a company which produces such a product, and it costs less than 10% of what writing the IELTS usually costs. If I'm a student, I want the BEST study materials, and I want them composed by university-educated native English speakers.

Think of all the time wasted wading through endless amounts of borderline useless study material. How much of it is helpful? How much of it is detrimental? How much time are you wasting. Wouldn't you rather have a product that gives you exactly what you need? Isn't that worth 10% of the price of the test?

To me, it's a no-brainer. To our students, it's a no-brainer. To anybody that wants to succeed on the IELTS, save time, study less (but more productively), it is a no-brainer.

For anyone reading this, leave your email if you want to study less and score higher, and I'll get in touch. I can also offer a coupon code for anyone that responds in this thread.

CEC_2013

Star Member
Jan 7, 2013
This is my mail id : akash_in_canada@yahoo.ca

I don't want to go in debate .. hence kindly send me whatever you have hints and an idea.

Thanks

Johnny31

VIP Member
Dec 25, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CEC_2013 said:
This is my mail id : akash_in_canada @ yahoo.ca

I don't want to go in debate .. hence kindly send me whatever you have hints and an idea.

Thanks
Here are some Free online reading practice materials that doesn't cost anything!

http://takeielts.britishcouncil.org/prepare-test/practice-tests/reading-practice-test-1-general-training

http://www.ieltshelpnow.com/free_general_training_reading_test_lesson.html

http://www.ielts-exam.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=category&sectionid=12&id=25&Itemid=40

Johnny31

VIP Member
Dec 25, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AEHelp said:
Once again, I respectfully disagree with you.

Free materials, such as that "tip" you posted, are written in very poor English, and are difficult to understand even for native speakers.

As with anything in life, you get what you pay for. If you want free, you're going to get poorly written information of dubious quality, just like the hint above. If you want something well-written and well-researched, and you want to maximize your study time, then you have to pay a little bit of money.

I am involved in a company which produces such a product, and it costs less than 10% of what writing the IELTS usually costs. If I'm a student, I want the BEST study materials, and I want them composed by university-educated native English speakers.

Think of all the time wasted wading through endless amounts of borderline useless study material. How much of it is helpful? How much of it is detrimental? How much time are you wasting. Wouldn't you rather have a product that gives you exactly what you need? Isn't that worth 10% of the price of the test?

To me, it's a no-brainer. To our students, it's a no-brainer. To anybody that wants to succeed on the IELTS, save time, study less (but more productively), it is a no-brainer.

For anyone reading this, leave your email if you want to study less and score higher, and I'll get in touch. I can also offer a coupon code for anyone that responds in this thread.
So all you want to do is push your product? You could have just been straight forward and say it: you charge 19.99CAD for IELTS Practice Tests or 38.00CAD for Full IELTS Courses. What makes your product better than the hundreds of "Online IELTS Courses and CDs" out there?

If people wants to pay for IELTS tutorials, they would've done it already, same with members that are on other forums on this site. Rather than paying thousands of dollars on immigration consultation, they ask for advice from members that went through the same process. People come here for free help, no paid services.

Johnny31

VIP Member
Dec 25, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CEC_2013 said:
I absoultely aggred with Johnny31.
Thanks man. I'm sorry if I wasn't able to provide any good hints. But the links I posted for you have good reading practices and if you go through them, your score should improve! IELTS is like many things in our lives, the more you practice them, the better you will get! I work at a language school and I tell my students to do these free practices and it does work!