+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to get Extended Medical for new COPR

svejdam

Dec 9, 2014
We received my wife's approval for Permanent Residency into Canada on nov. 18t, 2014, however with only validity date of Dec. 4th, 2014. As we are already in canada with visitor visa for my wife, then we believe that this validity date is tied to Medical Exam expiring.

To be proactive we updated my wife's medical on nov. 13th, and sent in a UMI copy with bar code to CPC in Ottawa, unfortunately it would appear that this Nov. 13th, 2014 updated medical has not yet updated in her file, and as such she has a Confirmation of Permanent residency with end validity of Dec. 4, 2014.

As such we have written to Vienna (our original outside of canada application embassy) and sent them again the Umi barcoded medical report update, asking them for an updated COPR letter so that we can resubmit my wife's passport.

Does this sound like the correct process to follow or is there another way to simply " Extend" the original medical as i'm unsure how long before vienna embassy will upload the updated medical to my wife's file?

thxs,
martin

Reactions: Joshua_Max

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Sounds like you may be in big trouble. You are not supposed to do a re-medical unless you are specifically asked to do one.

Since your COPR was received on Nov 18, and validity date was Dec 4, that means you should have officially "landed" as PR before Dec 4. Now that the date has passed and COPR is expired, there's a good chance your file is now closed and you will need to re-do the entire PR application from scratch.

However perhaps others can advise differently based on experiences with Vienna VO.

svejdam

Dec 9, 2014
thanks, I'm hoping that's not the case.
on nov. 19th we sent passport to cpc in ottawa,they are supposed to turn around in 7 days from receipt which was nov. 21st.
they sent passport back on dec.8th,which we received dec. 9th with a dec. 4th, 2014 landing date?

i'm hoping, and have read on this blog, that an extended medical can be issued???? hoping hoping hoping....
martin

Avadava

Oct 11, 2013
Vancouver
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Vienna
App. Filed.......
December 3, 2013
AOR Received.
Stage 1 AOR + SA January 8, 2014
File Transfer...
January 12, 2014
Med's Request
Further Medical Tests Requested: October 24, 2013
Med's Done....
October 15, 2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
October 20, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
October 27, 2014
LANDED..........
January 17, 2015
svejdam said:
thanks, I'm hoping that's not the case.
on nov. 19th we sent passport to cpc in ottawa,they are supposed to turn around in 7 days from receipt which was nov. 21st.
they sent passport back on dec.8th,which we received dec. 9th with a dec. 4th, 2014 landing date?

i'm hoping, and have read on this blog, that an extended medical can be issued???? hoping hoping hoping....
martin
Unfortunately, like Rob_to said, you might be in big trouble. Once they issue a COPR, the validity cannot be extended. I think your mistake was that you sent your wife's passport to Vienna. Since your wife is with you in Canada, you had the choice to send your passport to Ottawa, that would have been way faster. I also went through Vienna, and in their email asking for my passport, they wrote:

6. Submitting your passport(s) in Canada (CPC-O)

If you and all the accompanying dependents on your application are currently in Canada and plan to be in Canada for at least three months, you may submit your passport(s) to the Case Processing Centre – Ottawa (“CPC-O”). You are required to send your passport(s) together along with a copy of this letter by mail or courier to the following address.

They will definitely NOT issues you a new COPR just because you submitted a new medical exam. It doesn't work that way. The only advice I can give you is that you contact your MP and explain that by the time the passport arrived, your COPR had expired. Show as much proof of that as you can, including envelopes with the received date stamped on them by Canada Post, etc.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
What exactly did you receive on Nov 18th??? If it was the COPR, then why would you have then sent your passport in after that? I'm a bit confused what is actually happening in your case.

Is your wife visa-exempt? In that case there would have been no need to send her passport into any visa office, you could just get the COPR and go land with that.

If the visa office messed up and you received a COPR that was already expired, then in that case the visa office should work to correct it and issue a new COPR with extended expiry date.

Avadava

Oct 11, 2013
Vancouver
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Vienna
App. Filed.......
December 3, 2013
AOR Received.
Stage 1 AOR + SA January 8, 2014
File Transfer...
January 12, 2014
Med's Request
Further Medical Tests Requested: October 24, 2013
Med's Done....
October 15, 2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
October 20, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
October 27, 2014
LANDED..........
January 17, 2015
Rob_TO said:
What exactly did you receive on Nov 18th??? If it was the COPR, then why would you have then sent your passport in after that? I'm a bit confused what is actually happening in your case.

Is your wife visa-exempt? In that case there would have been no need to send her passport into any visa office, you could just get the COPR and go land with that.

If the visa office messed up and you received a COPR that was already expired, then in that case the visa office should work to correct it and issue a new COPR with extended expiry date.
I believe that what he received on Nov.18 was the PPR email. I also went through Vienna, and my PPR email mentioned that my application was successful and that my COPR (when issued) will be valid till Jan 25th.
So I think he sent the passport to Vienna (based on the PPR email) and he got it back together with the COPR, which was already expired.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Rob_TO said:
Agreed. There have been a few cases where an applicant has received an already expired COPR. They returned it and CIC has issued a new one valid for a longer time.

Avadava said:
So I think he sent the passport to Vienna (based on the PPR email) and he got it back together with the COPR, which was already expired.
As per OP's last post:
svejdam said:
on nov. 19th we sent passport to cpc in ottawa,

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
canuck_in_uk said:
Agreed. There have been a few cases where an applicant has received an already expired COPR. They returned it and CIC has issued a new one valid for a longer time.
Also agreed. It's completely unreasonable to expect someone to land before the expiry of the CORP if the CORP isn't received until it's already expired. We've seen a couple of these cases here before. The VO should have no issues providing a new CORP with a longer expiry.

This is certainly not the same as someone receiving a valid CORP and failing to land before the expiry date.

svejdam

Dec 9, 2014
Thanks for all the inputs.

on Nov. 18th we didn't receive the COPR from Vienna, but rather a Heads up that the application was successful, we were then given the option to send to Vienna or Ottawa CPC. We sent my wife's passport on Nov. 19th (we have receipt from postal services) to Ottawa CPC. Apparently, per Vienna, they had 7 days to turn this around, for some unknown reason they only sent back to us dated Dec. 8th so we received the COPR from Ottawa with my wife's passport on Dec. 9th , but unfortunately with the Dec. 4th , 2014 validity date.

Also, on nov. 13th we informed both Vienna and CPC that we had undertaken a secondary medical in the event that the first one should expire.

We've written to both Vienna and CPC asking what to do, and also have contacted some lawyers in the event that we need to take this to higher level as we feel completely cheated if after 10 months of waiting we lose out and have to reapply due to a technicality.
not sure why in Vienna they didn't just extend the medical , as i've read that that is at their discretion, then i'm not sure why CPC would even both issuing a Visa into a passport on Dec. 8th with validity of Dec. 4th...

now just waiting what Vienna has to say if they can issue extended medical deadline based on the new medical we had done or just extend the COPR or if they really will make us start from scratch, in which case i may, for a second time in my life, leave canada.

I've also written to my MP in Calgary SE riding, hoping for some help there as well, will continue to write to MP and if needed will go to the press and to the new minister of immigration (our MP is the old minister of immigration mr Kenney)

keeping my fingers crossed :)

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
svejdam said:
We've written to both Vienna and CPC asking what to do, and also have contacted some lawyers in the event that we need to take this to higher level as we feel completely cheated if after 10 months of waiting we lose out and have to reapply due to a technicality.

I've also written to my MP in Calgary SE riding, hoping for some help there as well, will continue to write to MP and if needed will go to the press and to the new minister of immigration (our MP is the old minister of immigration mr Kenney)
I suggest you actually phone your MP's office and speak to someone about the situation. There will be no need for lawyers, press etc. CIC has made this error before and will reissue the COPR with a longer validity.

svejdam

Dec 9, 2014
I found this on CIC Operating manual 15.28. Extending the validity of visas. feeling a bit more relaxed :)

The validity of a permanent resident visa may not be extended. Nor can replacement visas be issued with a new validity date. If foreign nationals do not use their visas, they must make a new application for a permanent residence visa.

They must also pay a new application processing fee. If they have paid a right of permanent resident fee (RPRF), they do not need to pay it again. The RPRF may be collected only once.

Sometimes, due to factors beyond their control, applicants receive visas that are valid for less than two months. If they cannot travel before their visas expire, officers should update whichever requirement (e.g., medical) was used to set the visa validity. When a new validity date has been obtained, a new visa will be issued.

svejdam

Dec 9, 2014
After contacting our MP, twice, we were able to get an approval from vienna to reopen the PR application, and can now send to CPC back the old Visa for processing into a new valid visa.

key was to mention to the MP that per OP 1 manual that all MP's have direct email access to the embassies, and that the embassies have 5-7 days to respond to MP inquiries.

so now we just send passport back in and hopefully in next 2 weeks get the valid dated Visa back :)

then just to see what issues we face next with landing from within canada