+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to get 7+ Band in Reading section of IELTS General

nks0007

Jan 2, 2012
Dear All,

I would appreciate if you could share your experience. Target is: How to achieve band 7 and/or higher.

Narendra

crosstantine

Star Member
Nov 23, 2009
This advice is for someone who may have the same question.

I think you should download some mock exams, there're a lot, one of the problems with the reading is not the comprehension itself the problem is that you can answer the questions based on the reading, there're techniques. I encourage you to take a deep read about how the tests works, that's what I did.

I took the test 2 years ago, so I dont have it fresh in my mind, but as far as I remember:

The first reading is all about scamming (you can find dates, names, etc just doing a fast scan of the text), they're measuring if you are able to find information in a lecture.
The second reading will need a little bit more, you will be asked for information that maybe will not be at the same sentence, for example: Bob and Mary had 3 children, 1 of them leave the country, the question will be something like: "How much kids are with Bob and Mary?" easy... 2
The final reading (I think they're 3), is about full understanding of the text, you will read something and will be asked for deeper questions like: Is the phyllosophy really important in the context of the lecture?

What I used, and was good for me, is to download some test assesments, read them and answer the questions, fill the gaps and start all over again till I got a 100% in those tests, after that I got a 8 band at reading. Sometimes you will not able to get a 100% score even in your own language, so the problem is not with the English at all, the problem is with how good are you reading (even in your language).

Hope this helps, and good luck with the test.

Saeid2011

Aug 21, 2011
Iran
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nks0007 said:
Dear All,

I would appreciate if you could share your experience. Target is: How to achieve band 7 and/or higher.

Narendra
please practice and practice more and note that IELTS is skill not knowledge.
good luck

nks0007

Jan 2, 2012
Dear crosstantine,

Thanks for your suggestions...Its really valuable and many of us can get benefited with this...

nxt83

Feb 16, 2012
nks0007 said:
Dear All,

Narendra
try watching bbc news to get used to the accents and speed of speech delivery.

nks0007

Jan 2, 2012
Thanks to everyone for your time and guidance...I got my results, I was not scoring good enough in Reading, but finally I am happy with 8.5 in Reading. 8)

danreys

Star Member
Apr 4, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
August 2010
Doc's Request.
Jan. 2011
Nomination.....
Dec. 16, 2011
AOR Received.
March 22, 2012
IELTS Request
submitted
File Transfer...
May 29 2012
Med's Request
June 7 2012
Med's Done....
Aug. 16, 2013 Inprocess
Interview........
Sept. 30, 2013 remedical
Passport Req..
Oct. 23, 2013 PPR (Nov. 15 2013) PP Sent
VISA ISSUED...
Nov. 22, DM Nov. 19, 2013 visa issue Dec 2, 2013 Visa received
nks0007 said:
Thanks to everyone for your time and guidance...I got my results, I was not scoring good enough in Reading, but finally I am happy with 8.5 in Reading. 8)
Thats is reaaly good nks0007 congrats