+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to extend child's study permit

skersilo

Sep 19, 2024
Hi,

I'm posting this to see if someone can offer some insights.

I am on a study permit that's valid for the entire duration of my program. My son is with me on his own study permit and is in grade school. Our initial study permit applications were made together on the same application through my GCKey account.

His original passport expires soon and so will his study permit. But he now has a renewed passport so I need to apply to extend his study permit.

Since he is a minor, I will have to sign his application form (IMM5709).

I am wondering if my son should create his own GCKey account to apply for extension, or should I use my existing GCKey account for his application?

Also, there is question that asks

"Are you giving someone access to your application?"

and the alternatives for an answer are

(a) I will be appointing a representative to apply on my behalf,
(b) Grant authorization for IRCC to release application information to another person,
(c) both appoint a representative and grant authorization, and,
(d) No.

We are not using any outside consultant or advisor and are handling the application on our own. How should we answer the above question in case we apply using his GCKey account? And how should we answer the question if we apply through my GCKey account? Again, in both cases it is quite clear that I would have to sign his application form. I'm trying to figure out the best way to proceed.

Thank you.