+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to bring widowed mother to Canada on PR?

gurbir1989

Nov 27, 2020
I am a Canadian citizen and recently lost my father who was residing in India. I want to immigrate my mother to Canada.
Please recommend fastest ways to bring her here as she is now alone in India and is old. (Both parents - Indian Citizens)

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Sorry for your loss. The only way right now is through a supervisa. It is a visitor visa for up to 10 years. She would have to pass the medical and buy health insurance.

Immigration is not an option as it is based on a lottery. It hasn’t been open to new profiles since 2020. The lottery just happened and there are about 80k in the pool remaining and only about 25k are selected each year. When it does reopen expect hundreds of thousands of people like yourself to apply and then wait to be picked for about 25k spots. So expect to wait years.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Also a supervisa only allows her to visit so she needs to be prepared to return home if she is unable to secure supervisa insurance or when her permit expires.

Reactions: gurbir1989

gurbir1989

Nov 27, 2020
Sorry for your loss. The only way right now is through a supervisa. It is a visitor visa for up to 10 years. She would have to pass the medical and buy health insurance.

Immigration is not an option as it is based on a lottery. It hasn’t been open to new profiles since 2020. The lottery just happened and there are about 80k in the pool remaining and only about 25k are selected each year. When it does reopen expect hundreds of thousands of people like yourself to apply and then wait to be picked for about 25k spots. So expect to wait years.
Thank you for your reply. This really helps. And will the supervisa be for multiple entries? OR once she comes, she has to stay continuously, and as soon as she leaves Canada we again have to apply for super visa or insurance? What's the insurance time-line I need to buy (10 years)?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you for your reply. This really helps. And will the supervisa be for multiple entries? OR once she comes, she has to stay continuously, and as soon as she leaves Canada we again have to apply for super visa or insurance? What's the insurance time-line I need to buy (10 years)?
It is multi entry. She must have 1 year of supervisa insurance when entering Canada and must purchase be/be able to purchase supervisa insurance every year to maintain her visitor status. Supervisa insurance is only emergency medical insurance and does not cover routine healthcare. You need to have a plan B in case your mother never receives PR in Canada.

Reactions: gurbir1989