+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

how to bring my spouse to canada. i'm applying for pgwp

alina7

Mar 15, 2014
Hi everyone and thanks for reading this topic! I have recently got a job offer and going to apply for post graduate work permit within next couple of months. I've studied in Canada for two years and soon receiving my bachelor degree. A year ago I got married with my spouse in Russia. I know that he can apply for an open work permit after i receive my pgwp. The thing that worries me is that our marriage was not in any way stated in Canada. And we were only able to meet with him during my study breaks so I'm worried it might look suspicious. Will my marriage affect my pgwp application in any way? And another thing is that my spouse was refused a Canadian visa two years ago when he tried to get into English study school in Toronto. I'm quite confused and don't know whether I should include in my pgwp application that I'm married or it might make things worse...

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Beautiful British Columbia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If they ask about you marital status in the application form for PGWP then you HAVE to show your marriage and your husband.
When you get your PGWP and start working let your husband to apply for Open Work permit.
To prove your marriage is bona fide (genuine) you will need to show your marriage certificate, wedding and reception photos with your and his parents, relatives, friends. Also photos from the periods of your meetings.
It should overweight your occasional meetings with your husband.

I do not think the refusal two years ago will influence his application for OWP very much. You should also write a Letter of Explanation to CIC describing the history of your relationship before wedding and after it.

alina7

Mar 15, 2014
Regina said:
If they ask about you marital status in the application form for PGWP then you HAVE to show your marriage and your husband.
When you get your PGWP and start working let your husband to apply for Open Work permit.
To prove your marriage is bona fide (genuine) you will need to show your marriage certificate, wedding and reception photos with your and his parents, relatives, friends. Also photos from the periods of your meetings.
It should overweight your occasional meetings with your husband.

I do not think the refusal two years ago will influence his application for OWP very much. You should also write a Letter of Explanation to CIC describing the history of your relationship before wedding and after it.
Thanks for your answer! Yes, in PGWP application they ask about my marital status. So i just fill in that information(basically his name and date of marriage), and only after I get my pgwp he can apply for open work permit, is that right? Do I need to prove my marriage before that?

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Beautiful British Columbia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
He does not have to wait till you get your PGWP. it is just an advice. It will look better in CIC eyes if you HAVE a job when he applies for his OWP.

Do I need to prove my marriage before that?
Do not know.But IMHO, a copy of marriage certificate will not make harm. :)

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
For your husband to apply for an Open Work Permit, you must already have your PGWP AND you must be working in a skilled position that is NOC A, B or 0. He cannot apply before then. If your job offer is not for a skilled position, then he will not qualify for an OWP but could still try for another TRV.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/apply-who.asp

Your spouse or common-law partner may be able to apply for an “open” work permit. This is a permit that will let them accept any job with any employer if:

You are

- approved to work in Canada for six months or longer,
- doing work in Canada that meets a minimum skill level (usually work for which you need at least a college diploma) and
- doing a job at Skill Level 0, A or B in the National Occupational Classification.

Note: If you have a post-graduation work permit, your spouse must attach a copy of your work permit to their application for an open work
permit, as well as a:

- letter from your current employer that confirms you work there, or a copy of your employment offer or contract, and
- copy of one of your pay slips.

alina7

Mar 15, 2014
canuck_in_uk said:
For your husband to apply for an Open Work Permit, you must already have your PGWP AND you must be working in a skilled position that is NOC A, B or 0. He cannot apply before then. If your job offer is not for a skilled position, then he will not qualify for an OWP but could still try for another TRV.

Your spouse or common-law partner may be able to apply for an “open” work permit. This is a permit that will let them accept any job with any employer if:

You are

- doing work in Canada that meets a minimum skill level (usually work for which you need at least a college diploma) and
- doing a job at Skill Level 0, A or B in the National Occupational Classification.

Note: If you have a post-graduation work permit, your spouse must attach a copy of your work permit to their application for an open work
permit, as well as a:

- letter from your current employer that confirms you work there, or a copy of your employment offer or contract, and
Thank you for your answer! I have read that information earlier on. I was just wondering that when i apply for pgwp, and I state in the application that I am married, do i need to provide any further info on my marriage? say, a marriage certificate. I know it doesn't really relate to MY application, but i was just thinking that CIC might be concerned about it since my husband is not in Canada. Also, I am worried that my marriage may somehow affect my pgwp application...

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
alina7 said:
Thank you for your answer! I have read that information earlier on. I was just wondering that when i apply for pgwp, and I state in the application that I am married, do i need to provide any further info on my marriage? say, a marriage certificate. I know it doesn't really relate to MY application, but i was just thinking that CIC might be concerned about it since my husband is not in Canada. Also, I am worried that my marriage may somehow affect my pgwp application...
As far as I know, you do not need to provide any further info or your marriage certificate. If it's not asked in the application or listed on the PGWP document checklist, then it's not required.

CIC will not be concerned that your husband isn't currently in Canada; many spouses of international students do not come to Canada for whatever reason.

Your marriage will not affect the app, as CIC does not discriminate on the basis marital status.

alina7

Mar 15, 2014
canuck_in_uk said:
As far as I know, you do not need to provide any further info or your marriage certificate. If it's not asked in the application or listed on the PGWP document checklist, then it's not required.

CIC will not be concerned that your husband isn't currently in Canada; many spouses of international students do not come to Canada for whatever reason.

Your marriage will not affect the app, as CIC does not discriminate on the basis marital status.
Oh that's great! Thank you so much for that info:)

jpfyoung

Star Member
Feb 5, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15/12/2015
Nomination.....
17/11/2015
AOR Received.
09/03/2016
Med's Request
02/11/2016
Med's Done....
18/11/2016
Passport Req..
13/03/2017
VISA ISSUED...
21/03/2017
LANDED..........
25/03/2017
canuck_in_uk said:

You are

permit, as well as a:

I just wanted to ask if you can apply for OWP for spouse when you apply for your PGWP? When I am on CIC and click to apply for the PGWP it asks me if I want to also apply for any family members? I presume as long as I convey in my application that my job is level 0, A or B they will also allow my spouse's application?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
As it says on the website, your spouse must include a copy of your PGWP to apply for an OWP, meaning that you need to apply first and receive it before your spouse applies. If you are working in a skilled job when you apply for your PGWP, I suppose you can try including the spousal OWP app as well and see what happens.

jpfyoung

Star Member
Feb 5, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15/12/2015
Nomination.....
17/11/2015
AOR Received.
09/03/2016
Med's Request
02/11/2016
Med's Done....
18/11/2016
Passport Req..
13/03/2017
VISA ISSUED...
21/03/2017
LANDED..........
25/03/2017
canuck_in_uk said:
As it says on the website, your spouse must include a copy of your PGWP to apply for an OWP, meaning that you need to apply first and receive it before your spouse applies. If you are working in a skilled job when you apply for your PGWP, I suppose you can try including the spousal OWP app as well and see what happens.
That was my confusion, that it says on the website that I have to include a copy of my PGWP and the employer offer, wage slip etc...But then my thoughts were: 1) If you couldn't do it at the same time, why would it ask online if I wanted to apply for the OWP at the same time and 2) If I am approved for my PGWP, as long as I provide them with the proof that my job meets the NOC category 0, A or B then I believe this covers what they are asking. You would imagine this would save them time doing it this way.

My main worry was that I noticed a lot of people on this site seem to have had there spousal OWP rejected when applying for PGWP. But I am guessing this was because they did not display that they were NOC category 0, A or B at the time of application.

Tried calling CIC to confirm this, but can never get through!

oasis.gc1

Star Member
Jan 3, 2015
canuck_in_uk said:

You are

permit, as well as a:

Thanks for your inputs.

Do we need copy of one of the pay slips to apply for the spouse's work permit? In my case, If I have a job offer in my hand (have not started working) and if I need to apply for my spouse's OWP immediately just on the basis of Employment Offer, Can I apply?

thanks

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
jpfyoung said:
1) If you couldn't do it at the same time, why would it ask online if I wanted to apply for the OWP at the same time and 2) If I am approved for my PGWP, as long as I provide them with the proof that my job meets the NOC category 0, A or B then I believe this covers what they are asking.
1. The questionnaire isn't foolproof and doesn't always address specific situations.

2. As I said, you can try and see what happens.

oasis.gc1 said:
Do we need copy of one of the pay slips to apply for the spouse's work permit? In my case, If I have a job offer in my hand (have not started working) and if I need to apply for my spouse's OWP immediately just on the basis of Employment Offer, Can I apply?
They can't issue your spouse a work permit on the basis of a job that you haven't started, as you may decide to not start it at all. You must show that you are actually working there.

timmituyi

Star Member
May 16, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dear All,

Please i need your valuable input on the following questions as i prepare to join my spouse whose study permit expires July 2016.

Myself and the kids will be visiting in dec and might apply for OWP while in canada.

However, going by what i just read on this thread, kindly clarify the info below:

1. Should i apply for open work permit immediately i arrive canada in dec 2015 so as to be able to work before the epiration of our visas in July 2016.

2. Should i apply for open work permit together with my spouse when he will be applying for PGWP in April 2016 after getting his notification letter/ degree cert.

3. Can he apply for PGWP even if he does not get a job related to his field (IT) immediately after graduation.

4. Assuming no 3 happens, will i have to wait till his PGWP gets approved before i apply for my own open work permit.

5. Can he apply for federal skilled worker skill via the EE upon completion of his PGD based on his pervious experience (IT) in our home country and before receiving the approval for the PGWP.

Kindly advice so as to make necessary plan to avoid been a fugitive in anaother man's country as i will have to leave my job to join my spouse because of our kids.

Thank you in anticipation of your response.

Regards,
T.