+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to become an RCIC

sanjcanada

Aug 14, 2020
I am actually thinking of becoming a part-time immigration consultant (RCIC). I went to the https://iccrc-crcic.ca/ website and they told me the only way to do the course is via Queen's university (https://immigrationdiploma.queenslaw.ca/).
I find this odd .. bordering on a scam. Isn't there a way to self-study and get the material to read? And also how come only one unversity offers this course?

I am seeking advice from existing RCICs on how to go about the process is an effective economical way. Haven gone through engineering university I feel I should be able to pick up this material on my own :)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Reactions: sanjcanada

ihabjamal

Aug 15, 2020
Im complete the aplication but have failed in study and languages to my wife cz have certeficade chemistry what should to make in this i put all information but same have failed

sanjcanada

Aug 14, 2020
I don't know the fees, but I am curious. What feels like a scam?
Maybe scam is the wrong word but here goes :

1. I feel the rules and regulations for Canadian immigration should be public and the course material should be available publicly or at nominal cost and not outsourced to a privatecollege

2. Why is the course offered only by one college thereby we are at the mercy of their fees ($14,167!!!) and their schedules. I hope this is offered virtually too.

Hope I make sense :)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

1. I feel the rules and regulations for Canadian immigration should be public and the course material should be available publicly or at nominal cost and not outsourced to a privatecollege

2. Why is the course offered only by one college thereby we are at the mercy of their fees ($14,167!!!) and their schedules. I hope this is offered virtually too.

FYI - Queen's isn't a college and it isn't private - it's a public university.

thevisawhisperer

Champion Member
Jun 10, 2020
West Coast
This program is offered by the Faculty of Law of Queen's University - one of the oldest and most prestigious educational institutions in Canada. ICCRC is coming out of a 10-year period where courses were offered by a patchwork of private and public institutions - Seneca College, UBC, Ashton College - the eCollege of the former corrupt regulator. The quality of graduates is uneven and there are still too many schemers and shady operators in the profession. Immigration consultants affect people's lives at the most fundamental level. It is critical that they have the highest educational and ethical standards. I am sorry if that is inconvenient to your plan to become a part-time RCIC, but I could not be happier that Queen's University is in charge of education now.

Reactions: scylla

sanjcanada

Aug 14, 2020
Last edited:

thevisawhisperer

Champion Member
Jun 10, 2020
West Coast
No, all private colleges and other sources of the immigration practitioner program had their final intakes before July 31. From here on it's Queen's only.
No you cannot just challenge the exam following self study. You will have to pass the actual course.

Reactions: sanjcanada

sanjcanada

Aug 14, 2020
No, all private colleges and other sources of the immigration practitioner program had their final intakes before July 31. From here on it's Queen's only.
No you cannot just challenge the exam following self study. You will have to pass the actual course.
Thank you . Do you work for ICCRC? I guess all the other colleges will lose their revenue starting 2021. Thank you for the clear answers. Much appreciated.

Feb 27, 2022

1) The rules are public.
2) The course material is available publicly.
3) To become a RCIC is not a simple "read the course materials and answer the exam". You have to be trained in the application of the immigration law as it pertains to a certain scenario. You are taught mock scenario drills and there are several workshops.
4) Yes, it is offered remote and I believe there is only this one college and the fees are higher and their schedule is lengthier.
5) You also have to pass a very rigorous140 Question exam, which you need to answer each question in roughly a minute.
6) You also have to pass an English language exam and the qualification score is extremely high.

I wish you all the best.

farsxp

Apr 19, 2019
1) The rules are public.
2) The course material is available publicly.
3) To become a RCIC is not a simple "read the course materials and answer the exam". You have to be trained in the application of the immigration law as it pertains to a certain scenario. You are taught mock scenario drills and there are several workshops.
4) Yes, it is offered remote and I believe there is only this one college and the fees are higher and their schedule is lengthier.
5) You also have to pass a very rigorous140 Question exam, which you need to answer each question in roughly a minute.
6) You also have to pass an English language exam and the qualification score is extremely high.

I wish you all the best.
Hello
I am a September 2022 applicant. I have not heard from Queen's yet. I completed my application in January 2022. Do you have any idea when the admission results will be available?