+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to apply for an open work permit?

1_Soph_1

May 15, 2013
Hi,

my parents are both permanent residents and my mom applied through the Federal Skilled Worker Visa.
According to the Help Centre I can apply for an open work permit as a family member, because my mom received her permanent residency through the Skilled Worker program.

How do I apply for it, though?

I wanted to apply for the work&travel visa and noticed that I can choose "open work permit" in the form IMM1295. But because I have chosen "working holiday" in the questionnaire, I cannot choose "open work permit" in the form.
There are only 3 options in the questionnaire: 1. "working holiday", 2. "Young Professionals Programm" and 3. "International Co-op or internship". Neither of which will allow "open work permit" as an option in the form IMM1295.

Any help will be much appreciated, as I'm starting to run out of time. I'm planning on going to Canada in August and there are no more places for work&travel...

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

1_Soph_1 said:
Hi,

my parents are both permanent residents and my mom applied through the Federal Skilled Worker Visa.
According to the Help Centre I can apply for an open work permit as a family member, because my mom received her permanent residency through the Skilled Worker program.

How do I apply for it, though?

I wanted to apply for the work&travel visa and noticed that I can choose "open work permit" in the form IMM1295. But because I have chosen "working holiday" in the questionnaire, I cannot choose "open work permit" in the form.
There are only 3 options in the questionnaire: 1. "working holiday", 2. "Young Professionals Programm" and 3. "International Co-op or internship". Neither of which will allow "open work permit" as an option in the form IMM1295.

Any help will be much appreciated, as I'm starting to run out of time. I'm planning on going to Canada in August and there are no more places for work&travel...
1. Were you included in your mother's application? If not, there is no work permits for persons whose parents are permanent residents. If you were included, you can't work until you "land"
2. If you were not included, then you either have to get an approved LMO from an employer in Canada, and then apply for a work permit, or if you are eligible you can apply under IEC for an open work permit.
3. You didn't state what country you are from and your age, which is important to apply for any of the IEC work permits.
4. The working holiday IEC is an open work permit.

1_Soph_1

May 15, 2013
Hi,

thanks for the reply!

I'm 25 and from Germany, but currently living in Ireland.

I was a dependant child when my mom applied for the Federal Worker Visa. I was on the application until it was nearly finished processing (took nearly 5 years). Her lawyer said I was now an independent child and couldn't be on the application anymore. So I had to sign a form stating I didn't want to go to Canada.

Can I still apply for the open permit work? If yes, how exactly?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
1_Soph_1 said:
Can I still apply for the open permit work? If yes, how exactly?
You don't qualify for an open work permit based on your mother's application. As you said, you're no longer a dependent and this means you can't benefit from your mother's application.