+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How should I orginize my application when sending it in??

KtMcrorie

Apr 6, 2010
I am about to send in my application for a common law visa. Is there any particular way I should organize everything? I feel like I have a million pieces of paper and I want to make it as easy for them to get through as possible.

Thanks!

Asta

Jan 20, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-02-2010
Doc's Request.
05-10-2010
Med's Done....
18-01-2010
Interview........
-
LANDED..........
01-03-2011
u should search in the forum. there are lots of threads like urs. just put some key words into the search field and u will find a lot.

D

dlee31

I thought the same thing when I was sending in my application. Here's what I did and I hope it helps even a little.

1. Print out the Checklist for your region. The checklist should be numbered.

2. Organize all the forms and documents according to the order they appear on the checklist.

3. A lot of the forms say "if you have any other evidence attach it on a separate piece of paper" or something like that.
So I did, and I attached the "evidence" to each corresponding form. For example, for the question "have you ever visited your sponsor during your relationship" I attached photocopies of my passport page that had the entry dates to Canada on the form with the question. I also wrote in what each stamp meant.

4. So far you should have the basic application forms + extra pages you want to add following each form.

5. For the "any other evidence" part that supposed to prove our relationship is genuine, I put everything in chronological order, regardless of whether it was an email, photo, card, or letter. I also wrote in dates and details for everything, especially the photos. Example: December, 2009, Christmas party at in-laws. Left to right: mum-in-law, auntie whoever, uncle whoever, cousin, niece. Basically made a storybook of our relationship.

6. Finally, I used plastic 3M tab markers to mark each "section" of my application according to the things listed on the checklist. I also numbered the tabs according to the number on the checklist.

7. Then I went through the whole application three times JUST IN CASE I was missing something.

Giant pain, but it must have worked (or at least my plan of being a neatfreak didn't backfire) cuz I got a letter about four months after my husband was approved to be a sponsor :D

Best of luck!!

nyssa

May 14, 2009
Midwest, USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, USA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-07-2010
AOR Received.
22-09-10
Med's Done....
09-01-2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
06-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
06-11-2010
LANDED..........
06-01-2011
Dlee that's great!! There is a ton of information on this forum that explains what you should add (e-mails/phone calls/photos) but not anywhere near as many that detail how you organized your application in such a manner. Very helpful.

Asta

Jan 20, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-02-2010
Doc's Request.
05-10-2010
Med's Done....
18-01-2010
Interview........
-
LANDED..........
01-03-2011
try this, maybe u will find something useful:

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/-t19205.0.html

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/-t32761.0.html

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/-t7485.0.html

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/-t33909.0.html

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/-t30264.0.html

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/-t21316.0.html

D

dlee31

p.s.

for emails: I went into my hotmail account, filtered the emails so only those from my sponsor (husband) would show, and screen-captured & printed that, so I could show that we've been corresponding for however many years. Then I printed out a few individual emails that I thought were significant to our relationship, including emails sent to me from my in-laws.

for photos: I developed all of them, then taped them with double-sided tape to plain white paper according to when or what event they were taken at (no staples!). This made it a lot easier for me to add them to the "further evidence" pile in an organized manner.

etc: I also screen-captured & printed parts of my Facebook page, because that's where a lot of our friends had left messages like "congratulations" or "we miss you, see you when you get home" :)

Also, because a lot of the evidence and additional answers were being added on separate sheets of paper, I made sure all my extra pages had the following heading:

NAME: ***
DOB: October 31, ****
PASSPORT No: ******
Re: Form IMM****

and if it was a written statement (ex: describe how you first met your sponsor) I would write the question #, the question, then the answer. For things like photos/cards, I just printed out 50 blank pages with that heading and taped whatever to each page.

I think the most important thing is to make it idiot-proof. I just assumed the person who was evaluating our application would have the IQ of a baby seal, and labeled EVERYTHING.

Honestly, I can't believe I went through all this last year! It's one of those things where you look back and you laugh, but it's a complete effin' nightmare when you're in the middle of it.

sommy747

Mar 20, 2010
I organized mine the same way a lawyer organizes a legal brief , was approved and landed in 4.5 months (inland application , common law)

sbwv09

Feb 18, 2010
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Buffalo/NYC
App. Filed.......
May 17, 10
File Transfer...
June 22, 10/August 31, 10 (to NYC)
Med's Done....
April 6, 10
Passport Req..
September 13, 10
VISA ISSUED...
9/28, Received 10/21
LANDED..........
10/22/10
I was wondering if it would be ok to use those loose leaf folders and just tuck the things into the sleeves? I know it can't be 'bound' but it seems that everything would be neater this way, and you can just label each folder, "Sponsorship app", "Applicant's app", "supporting evidence", etc..

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo - Conjugal Partner
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
You can sbwv09, but no need to. I paper clipped my sections together.

Asta

Jan 20, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-02-2010
Doc's Request.
05-10-2010
Med's Done....
18-01-2010
Interview........
-
LANDED..........
01-03-2011
sbwv09 said:
I was wondering if it would be ok to use those loose leaf folders and just tuck the things into the sleeves? I know it can't be 'bound' but it seems that everything would be neater this way, and you can just label each folder, "Sponsorship app", "Applicant's app", "supporting evidence", etc..
i used some plastic sleeves for papers to put in some smaller size papers, tickets, bills, letters/envelopes etc. some stuff that is not comfortable to paper clip.