+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How Previous Declaration Affect my Spousal Sponsorship?

Jun 3, 2015
Hi there,

I am currently preparing the Spousal sponsorship application for my wife. I found a problem that: before marriage, we all declare our marital status as single, in every document.

Here is our timeline: we have been living together since Sep 2015, and I was granted PR in May 2018, then we got married in Nov 2018. I didn't declare I am in common law relationship in my pr application because I didn't think that could affect the spousal sponsorship since we will get married anyway.

But after reading lots of posts here, I am so worried about this. Can anyone help me?

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
Would highly suggest hiring a lawyer. Not declaring your common law relationship and you becoming PR without her medicals and background check done means she is now forever excluded as a member of the family class. You may also help her in gaining PR on her own through other pathways. Good luck.

Reactions: Buletruck

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi there,

I am currently preparing the Spousal sponsorship application for my wife. I found a problem that: before marriage, we all declare our marital status as single, in every document.

Here is our timeline: we have been living together since Sep 2015, and I was granted PR in May 2018, then we got married in Nov 2018. I didn't declare I am in common law relationship in my pr application because I didn't think that could affect the spousal sponsorship since we will get married anyway.

But after reading lots of posts here, I am so worried about this. Can anyone help me?
You should be worried. You committed misrepresentation, immigration fraud. Your spouse is forever excluded from the Family Class, meaning you can never sponsor her.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hi there,

I doubt that anyone can help you at this point. Certainly get a very good immigration lawyer involved but be prepared to accept that you will be unable to sponsor her under Family Class. IRPR 117(9)(d)

Last edited:
Reactions: Buletruck

momo2018

Jan 8, 2018
As far as I know getting a very good lawyer will be only very expensive. Not helpful in any way. Never heard of anyone that got it fixed (anyone else heard of a successful case???) Think again if you want to waste money cause some lawyers will be happy to take your money even if they know what the result will be.
She will have to find another way to immigrate (EE, PNP etc.) Some provinces PNP will give her extra points if you live there.
Just hope they wont get you and revoke your PR.