+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How long does it take to get TRV in New York, NY in person?

nycchip

Oct 15, 2011
I planned my trip in a week to Toronto. Do I have time to get the visa? I have a valid visa in my expiring passport and I want to get a new one in my new passport. On their website it says 30 days processing time so that scared me off a little. How long does it take to get TRV in New York, NY these days? Before it was just 1-2 business days.

Thank you.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

nycchip said:
I planned my trip in a week to Toronto. Do I have time to get the visa? I have a valid visa in my expiring passport and I want to get a new one in my new passport. On their website it says 30 days processing time so that scared me off a little. How long does it take to get TRV in New York, NY these days? Before it was just 1-2 business days.

Thank you.
You don't require a new TRV. Just take your new and expired passport with the valid TRV with you.

13.15. Valid visas in expired passports
If an expired passport contains a valid visa counterfoil, the counterfoil can still be used since the
expiration of the passport has no effect on the visa's validity. Holders of a valid visa may continue
to use their visa until the date it expires even if the visa is in an expired passport. Visitors can fulfil
the visa and passport requirements by presenting both the renewed and expired passports
containing the valid visa counterfoil to a BSO when seeking entry into Canada. The Regulations
state that visas should not be issued longer than the validity of the passport. However, due to pre-
IRPA cases, it is possible to encounter visas in expired passports.

nycchip

Oct 15, 2011
PMM thanks for your reply.

I emailed Canadian embassy in NYC and received confirmation that I can travel with both passports.

I went to Canada few weeks ago traveling with both passports and the valid TRV being in my old passport. Had no problem!!!

:D