+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How long can we defer PPR

PGAero

Feb 10, 2017
Hi,
I submitted my PR application on April 12th under CEC (Inland) stream. I booked my tickets to visit India on September long back, Now my question is, I wonder, how long can I defer passport request in order to go India September. I felt very nervous about that.

I read that after my PPR approval until we get PR card we can't go outside of Canada, this is the reason which makes me feel very nervous about my India visit, its very important for me to be there at that time. can I talk to CIC about my situation? & How can I tackle this problem? Someone please clarify my doubt.

I am very much appreciate your help

Thanks

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
PGAero said:
I submitted my PR application on April 12th under CEC (Inland) stream. I booked my tickets to visit India on September long back, Now my question is, I wonder, how long can I defer passport request in order to go India September. I felt very nervous about that.

I read that after my PPR approval until we get PR card we can't go outside of Canada, this is the reason which makes me feel very nervous about my India visit, its very important for me to be there at that time. can I talk to CIC about my situation? & How can I tackle this problem? Someone please clarify my doubt.
Hi

You can't defer PPR. They will give you 30 days to submit it; if you don't, you can expect your app to be refused.

It is perfectly fine for you to leave Canada without your PR card. To return, you will need to either have your PR card mailed to you or apply for a PRTD.

PGAero

Feb 10, 2017
canuck_in_uk said:
Hi

You can't defer PPR. They will give you 30 days to submit it; if you don't, you can expect your app to be refused.

It is perfectly fine for you to leave Canada without your PR card. To return, you will need to either have your PR card mailed to you or apply for a PRTD.
Thank you very much for your info.
do they cancel my visa when I submit my passport?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
PGAero said:
I read that after my PPR approval until we get PR card we can't go outside of Canada, this is the reason which makes me feel very nervous about my India visit...
First - after you submit your passport and get it back, along with the COPR, you are not yet a permanent resident, you have to complete your landing (by entering from a foreign country). Your COPR will have an expiry date on it, by which time you must land - it is usually one year from the date of your medical exam. So if you are fortunate, you will get your PPR and then the COPR before your trip, then you can land when you return.

After you land, then you have to wait for the PR card. You are not prohibited from leaving Canada, but the challenge is that you don't have the PR card yet, and you no longer need a visa, so international travel is difficult. The "solution" is to get the permanent resident travel document from the country to which you travel (in your case, India). In some countries, however, the PRTD takes a couple of months to process, so a shorter trip becomes very difficult/impossible (you can check processing times for India). So sometimes, the practical effect is that you have to wait until you get your PR card....