+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How important is French language proficiency for Express Entry?

agaurach

Jul 7, 2021
Me and my wife, we are planning to submit an application for Express Entry for Ontario. We both got very good IELTS scores for English, and we are considering whether we should also try and take the French exams? We are not that great in French, we sort of have a basic knowledge, but we are wondering whether it is worth paying the exam fees for us both to take the French tests, if we are not sure we will get a very high score.

Does the French language proficiency has a significant value when it comes to submitting an Express entry application?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
You want B2 (advanced intermediate) to make a difference to your CRS score. Basic French will not give you extra ponts.

AishB

Sep 29, 2020
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
NDVO
AOR Received.
13-02-2021
Passport Req..
30-08-2022
Me and my wife, we are planning to submit an application for Express Entry for Ontario. We both got very good IELTS scores for English, and we are considering whether we should also try and take the French exams? We are not that great in French, we sort of have a basic knowledge, but we are wondering whether it is worth paying the exam fees for us both to take the French tests, if we are not sure we will get a very high score.

Does the French language proficiency has a significant value when it comes to submitting an Express entry application?
Really depends on what your CRS score is.
For an invitation to Ontario PNP, your CRS will need to be above 400. French is not an absolute must unless you plan to apply for Quebec which is a separate program altogether.

ayeetee

Jun 11, 2020

If you can get the minimum score required, in addition to getting up to 26 crs points you can get up to 70 additional points for being considered bilingual. The dependent on the application cannot take the French test as they can only take one of the tests

AishB

Sep 29, 2020
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
NDVO
AOR Received.
13-02-2021
Passport Req..
30-08-2022
If you can get the minimum score required, in addition to getting up to 26 crs points you can get up to 70 additional points for being considered bilingual. The dependent on the application cannot take the French test as they can only take one of the tests
Correction:
It is 50 additional points for second language not 70

Changes to the Express Entry system

You can now earn up to 50 additional points for strong French language skills (even if French is your second language).

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/submit-profile/rounds-invitations.html