Med's Request
09-05-2014
Med's Done....
19-05-2014
Interview........
26-02-2014
Passport Req..
RPRF Request 02-03-2015, PPR Request 10-03-2015
So I became a Canadian PR in 2015. I got my American PR/GC in 2017. I visited Canada as a tourist on 2018. I crossed the border at Niagara Falls and presented my Canadian PR since it hadn't yet expired. The CBSA officer asked if I knew about my residency obligations. I said, yes, but I also said I had no intention to maintain my Canada PR. He waved me on through without reporting me. Or at least none that I know of. He was actually pretty friendly. Fast forward to 2023. I crossed into Canada as a tourist through the Blaine, WA crossing on the way Vancouver. I had expected to be reported, but I wasn't. Was it perhaps because I presented my US Green Card (as my Canadian PR card was no longer valid)? I visited Canada again as a tourist in this year. I crossed the Eastport, ID crossing on the way to Alberta. Again, I presented my US Green Card and no mention of the PR residency obligations. Now, I'm curious. Did I actually lose my Canadian PR in 2018? The CBSA officer has to give me documents if I were reported, correct? I'm somewhat confused on my status.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Did I actually lose my Canadian PR in 2018? The CBSA officer has to give me documents if I were reported, correct? I'm somewhat confused on my status.
Chances are 99% that you did not lose it then, basically because the CBSA officer didn't want to do the paperwork.

And since then, either others haven't noticed, or it hasn't linked to your file correctly, or they also haven't bothered. (In theory the green card SHOULD have thrown a match just by name and DOB - but also possible there's a glitch in the matrix).

Note that you probably would have the issue come up if you tried to get a clearance to board a plane, i.e. you'd be denied an ETA.

If you never try to fly here, at some point a border officer might actually fill out the report, or hand you a renunciation form to complete in front of them.

Or they'd just continue as is and just assume it's not much bothering anyone and they have other border-type duties to do that they think are way cooler than catching stray PRs who have no intention of doing anything in canada except buying more expensive petrol.

RocketCity

Star Member
Mar 15, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
BIQ Montreal
NOC Code......
U062
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-11-2012
Nomination.....
26-02-2014
AOR Received.
09-05-2014
Med's Request
09-05-2014
Med's Done....
19-05-2014
Interview........
26-02-2014
Passport Req..
RPRF Request 02-03-2015, PPR Request 10-03-2015
Chances are 99% that you did not lose it then, basically because the CBSA officer didn't want to do the paperwork.

And since then, either others haven't noticed, or it hasn't linked to your file correctly, or they also haven't bothered. (In theory the green card SHOULD have thrown a match just by name and DOB - but also possible there's a glitch in the matrix).

Note that you probably would have the issue come up if you tried to get a clearance to board a plane, i.e. you'd be denied an ETA.

If you never try to fly here, at some point a border officer might actually fill out the report, or hand you a renunciation form to complete in front of them.

Or they'd just continue as is and just assume it's not much bothering anyone and they have other border-type duties to do that they think are way cooler than catching stray PRs who have no intention of doing anything in canada except buying more expensive petrol.
Actually, I don't think GC holders even require an ETA anymore:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/eta/facts.html

Travellers who are exempt from the eTA requirement.
  • U.S. citizens are exempt from the eTA requirement and must carry proper identification such as a valid U.S. passport.
  • Lawful permanent residents of the United States who hold valid status in the U.S. are exempt from the eTA requirement.
    • They must carry official proof of status (or an equivalent status document) and a valid passport from their country of nationality (or an equivalent travel document).
    • See the complete list of documents for lawful permanent residents of the U.S.
Complete list of acceptable status documents for lawful permanent residents of the U.S.
See the complete list of eTA exceptions.

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Actually, I don't think GC holders even require an ETA anymore:
Right, I'd forgotten about that.

I honestly do not know whether the system by which CBSA provides 'no board' instructions to airlines (based on docs and hits against databases) would catch your situation.