+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How do I get the PR Visa for an approved unaccompanied spouse

Sh_aun

Mar 8, 2017
My wife and I have been in Canada on an open work permit.
She recently applied for the express entry PR and declared me as unaccompanying.
A mail was sent to her to confirm if I would be accompanying or not and she confirmed I wasn't accompanying.
Later during the application, a passport request letter was sent to her and she went ahead to submit her passport.
Like a week later, an email came stating that she had to process my application whether I was accompanying or not and there was request for us to pay my processing fee as well as further application questions that we had to update on her CIC application.
After we paid and submitted, her passport was returned with the PR visa, application status was closed on CIC but no update with regards to the processing fee paid for me or how to submit my passport.
We have sent a mail, logged a ticket and have been trying to call but no response.
Any ideas what to do next?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Sh_aun said:
or how to submit my passport.
Why would you submit your passport if you're non-accompanying?? And why would you think you would get a PR visa??

If you wanted to get PR status also, you would need to list yourself as "accompanying" on her PR app.

Sh_aun

Mar 8, 2017
Rob_TO said:
Why would you submit your passport if you're non-accompanying?? And why would you think you would get a PR visa??
I am asking because, the subsequent update said she had to process the application for myself and also requested we pay the processing fee. Thats where the confusion is coming from. I actually didn't intend to apply for PR status but if it is something I was requested to pay for then I might as well just get it.

Rob_TO said:
If you wanted to get PR status also, you would need to list yourself as "accompanying" on her PR app.
I cant list myself as accompanying anymore because the application has been closed on the CIC

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Sh_aun said:
I am asking because, the subsequent update said she had to process the application for myself and also requested we pay the processing fee. Thats where the confusion is coming from. I actually didn't intend to apply for PR status but if it is something I was requested to pay for then I might as well just get it.
I cant list myself as accompanying anymore because the application has been closed on the CIC
Of course you need to be processed, as a spouse/dependent. You also need to pass medical exam, etc. But you listed as non-accompanying meaning at the end of the process you don't get a PR visa or PR status.

To get PR, after your spouse lands she will then need to do an entirely new spousal family class sponsorship app for you. You'll need to pay all new fees again, do a new medical exam, and this will probably take another year or so to process before you get PR status.

It would have been much easier for you if you just included yourself as "accompanying" in her PR app.

Sh_aun

Mar 8, 2017
Rob_TO said:
Of course you need to be processed, as a spouse/dependent. You also need to pass medical exam, etc. But you listed as non-accompanying meaning at the end of the process you don't get a PR visa or PR status.

To get PR, after your spouse lands she will then need to do an entirely new spousal family class sponsorship app for you. You'll need to pay all new fees again, do a new medical exam, and this will probably take another year or so to process before you get PR status.

It would have been much easier for you if you just included yourself as "accompanying" in her PR app.
Wow...that sucks. Thanks anyway.