+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How do I get an LMO?? need some help

abamn

Aug 24, 2009
I am a U.S citizen, trying to move to Canada to live with my BF. I understand the best way for me to do this is to go as a visitor and try to get a job. Once I get a job does my employer apply for an LMO?? I am a little confused as to what this is. Also once I get a job offer do I apply for my work visa in the US?? How long does this take? Can I work while I am waiting for my work permit?? Any help I can get would be great.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
abamn said:
I am a U.S citizen, trying to move to Canada to live with my BF. I understand the best way for me to do this is to go as a visitor and try to get a job. Once I get a job does my employer apply for an LMO?? I am a little confused as to what this is. Also once I get a job offer do I apply for my work visa in the US?? How long does this take? Can I work while I am waiting for my work permit?? Any help I can get would be great.
As a US citizen you can enter Canada without a visitor's visa. Once in Canada, you can try and find an employer who'll apply for an LMO for you (if the job is not LMO exempt). Once a valid LMO is obtained in your favor and the job type does not require medical, you can drive to the nearest POE and obtain your work permit from there. You can start working once you have your work permit. It is illegal to work in Canada without a valid work permit.