+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How do I apply to restore my visitor visa ONLINE? Not by mail?

mhook

Nov 17, 2014
My husband (Canadian) and I (American) are applying Outland for spousal sponsorship. My visitor record expired on Oct 31 and I understand I have 90 days to apply to restore it. The CIC I spoke to on the phone said I could apply online (26 days processing time) instead of by mail (72 days) to restore my visitor status so we can submit our Outland application.

But I can't figure out how to apply online! There is a link under "Option 1: Apply Online" but it just sends me back to the index on the CIC website
. Option 2 is Apply by mail.
I tried to do the "questionnaire to see if you're eligible" but it keeps sending me straight to the application for PR, which I can't do until I apply to restore my status.

I know the form I need is IMM 5708, and I found the link to download it, but I can't find how to submit the entire package online.

Any help would be appreciated! CIC just tries to send me to the technical support on the phone and they just tell me the same thing the website does....sending me in circles.

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
mhook said:
My husband (Canadian) and I (American) are applying Outland for spousal sponsorship. My visitor record expired on Oct 31 and I understand I have 90 days to apply to restore it. The CIC I spoke to on the phone said I could apply online (26 days processing time) instead of by mail (72 days) to restore my visitor status so we can submit our Outland application.

But I can't figure out how to apply online! There is a link under "Option 1: Apply Online" but it just sends me back to the index on the CIC website
. Option 2 is Apply by mail.
I tried to do the "questionnaire to see if you're eligible" but it keeps sending me straight to the application for PR, which I can't do until I apply to restore my status.

I know the form I need is IMM 5708, and I found the link to download it, but I can't find how to submit the entire package online.

Any help would be appreciated! CIC just tries to send me to the technical support on the phone and they just tell me the same thing the website does....sending me in circles.
By American do you mean a citizen of the US? I'll asume that is the case.

I just did the questionnaire and it gives me the option. Most probably you are filling it wrongly. Can you please put in here the answers to the questions you are submitting?

mhook

Nov 17, 2014
Jalex23 said:
By American do you mean a citizen of the US? I'll asume that is the case.

I just did the questionnaire and it gives me the option. Most probably you are filling it wrongly. Can you please put in here the answers to the questions you are submitting?
You're right, I was answering the questions wrong. I figured it out, thanks for your help!

Jun 7, 2016
I know I'm replying to an almost 2 year old topic, but I was having this problem and wasted so much time trying to figure it out (and calling MyCIC was completely unhelpful) so I wanted to add my experience here.

In my case, I am in Canada on a work visa through the International Experience Canada (IEC) program. I wanted to work with children, however I had a restriction on my work permit "Not authorized to work in child care."

Every website I found said I had to do a medical exam and to do the IMM 5710 form which it said could then be submitted online.

However, I logged into MyCIC, and I kept doing the questionnaires, and it never gave me the option to change my work permit. From the login screen, I tried selecting both "IEC (International Experience Canada)" and "Apply for a work/study permit". But no matter what it didn't work, from the IEC selection I eventually got to "Would you like to be added to the pool of open candidates?" (which was wrong) and from the work permit, I got "You are not eligible to apply for a work visa."

So what I eventually realized, from this forum post, was that there must be some option under the "work permit" questionnaire that would allow me to change my conditions.

In case it helps someone else, my exact workflow was this:
Apply For: "Visitor Visa, study, and/or work permit" ->
"Determine your eligibility and apply online for a visitor visa, study and/or work permit" ->
What would you like to do in Canada? "Work" ->
(Rest of page is just personal questions) ->
Are you a lawful permanent resident of the US? "No" ->
What is your current immigration status in Canada? "Worker" ->
Does one of the following apply to you? Answer: Select "Yes" for one of the first two. ->
(Fill in rest of questionnaire as normal; it's all personal questions)

And you should get to the end page, which will list required and optional documents, the first of which should be the Application to Change Conditions or Extend Your Stay!

I hope it helps someone!