+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How can I change visit visa into an open work permit

Hasan Mirza

Dec 9, 2021
Hello all, I have a multiple entry visit visa and currently I am visiting my sister who is living in Canada for 4 years. I have some questions and that would be really great if someone can help me out.

1. As I am inside Canada how can I get an open work permit without going to college because I don't want to study as I have already done M.Sc.
2. If I apply for the express entry in a month or two (as I am waiting for WES evaluation), can I be eligible to apply for an open work permit right after I applied for the PR?
3. What is the procedure to become a truck driver, because I got to know that Canada is giving more work permits to drivers and relatively it's a good way to earn a handsome salary.
4. I have an engineering background and whenever I received a call from an employer they asked for the visa status - and when I tell them that I am on a visit visa they always asked me to convert visa type by myself first and then apply again - why they can't give a letter of full-time employment or approved LMIA?

A big thank you in advance :)

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello all, I have a multiple entry visit visa and currently I am visiting my sister who is living in Canada for 4 years. I have some questions and that would be really great if someone can help me out.

1. As I am inside Canada how can I get an open work permit without going to college because I don't want to study as I have already done M.Sc.
2. If I apply for the express entry in a month or two (as I am waiting for WES evaluation), can I be eligible to apply for an open work permit right after I applied for the PR?
3. What is the procedure to become a truck driver, because I got to know that Canada is giving more work permits to drivers and relatively it's a good way to earn a handsome salary.
4. I have an engineering background and whenever I received a call from an employer they asked for the visa status - and when I tell them that I am on a visit visa they always asked me to convert visa type by myself first and then apply again - why they can't give a letter of full-time employment or approved LMIA?

1. You are not eligible for an open work permit. You need a job offer with LMIA (employer pays $1k and proves no Canadian or PR can do the job). Then you apply for closed work permit.
2. No. Having a profile doesn’t give you an open work permit.
3. Google process. Still need to fulfill 1.
4. The employer needs to apply for a LMIA and prove only you can do the job.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

1. Based on the information you have provided above, you do not qualify for an open work permit. Your only option is to apply for a closed work permit IF you are able to secure a job offer and an approved LMIA from an employer in Canada.
2. No, you will not. To be eligible for an open work permit after applying for PR through Express Entry, you must already hold a valid work permit and that work permit must be within four months of expiring.
3. You would need to start by taking training and getting licensed to be a truck driver. In order to work, you would need to secure a job offer and approved LMIA from an employer in Canada so that you can apply for a closed work permit.
4. The reason that employers don't want to go through this process is because it is very long and expensive with no guarantee of approval at the end.

FrustratedPRApplicant

Star Member
Apr 3, 2021
Hi @scylla,

Is the closed work permit application based on the public policy? Based on what I see at the link below, anyone coming after Aug 24, 2020 would not be eligible for this work permit. I have a friend who is planning on coming to Canada on a visitors visa and then converting to work permit.

-Would he still have to apply for an LMIA based work permit? If so, how long would it be valid for?

Link for reference:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/2020/08/new-temporary-public-policy-will-allow-visitors-to-apply-for-a-work-permit-without-having-to-leave-canada.html

Thanks,

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi @scylla,

Is the closed work permit application based on the public policy? I have a friend who is planning on coming to Canada on a visitors visa and then converting to work permit.

-Would he still have to apply for an LMIA based work permit? If so, how long would it be valid for?

Thanks,
He can come to Canada as a visitor. He can’t convert a permit. He needs a LMIA. With the LMIA he applies for and waits (not work) for the closed work permit. He is not eligible for an open work permit nor can he work until approved for the closed work permit.

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi @scylla,

Is the closed work permit application based on the public policy? Based on what I see at the link below, anyone coming after Aug 24, 2020 would not be eligible for this work permit. I have a friend who is planning on coming to Canada on a visitors visa and then converting to work permit.

Link for reference:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/2020/08/new-temporary-public-policy-will-allow-visitors-to-apply-for-a-work-permit-without-having-to-leave-canada.html

Thanks,
He needs an approved LMIA to apply for the work permit.

Even under the public policy, the LMIA was still required.

There seems to be a lot of misunderstanding about what the public policy allowed. It did not allow people to bypass the LMIA requirement. All the public policy did was allow people to apply from inside of Canada and get the work permit issued without having to leave Canada. All of the other requirements (including LMIA) were still the same.