+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How are immigrants with limited english helped through immigration?

rcalm

Jan 26, 2016
My nephew's wife will be immigrating through the Toronto airport. I understand no relatives here are allowed in Immigration to help her with any documentation or answering of questions. I've also read in other replies that Immigration staff will be able to help. I question this. Her first language is Amharic. What are the chances someone in Immigration will know that language?

krishnalynn

May 15, 2015
Calgary, AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-11-2015
AOR Received.
23-12-2015
File Transfer...
08-01-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
16-10-2015
Passport Req..
DM: 15-04-2016
rcalm said:
My nephew's wife will be immigrating through the Toronto airport. I understand no relatives here are allowed in Immigration to help her with any documentation or answering of questions. I've also read in other replies that Immigration staff will be able to help. I question this. Her first language is Amharic. What are the chances someone in Immigration will know that language?
CIC has translators they can call to translate over the phone if there isn't anyone that speaks that language. I would suggest she learn a few basic phrases like "I am here to land as a permanent resident" or carry a note in English to give to CIC to explain her situation.

M

mikeymyke

I would probably give her an English written note detailing that she's landing as an immigrant, only speaks Amharic, some basic details about her, etc. Then list her husband's name, address, and phone number so they can reach him if needed.