+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Hong Kong Office - stuck without a passport

May 22, 2014
Hello,

I am a canadian sponsoring my husband through family class sponsorship for residence in Canada. (He is American)
we did an "outside Canada" application.
Since he is working in Taiwan during this in-between time to save up money while he waits for acceptance, his application is being processed at the Hong Kong office.

We submitted our application at the beginning of November 2013. I was approved as sponsor in late December.

2 months ago (around April 1st) our rep received emails from CIC requesting an up to date police certificate from Taiwan (understandable) as well as his passport. The request for passport was accompanied by a nice little note from cic saying that it may mean his application is ready for approval...

We sent both those things to Hong Kong 2 weeks after getting the request. (6 weeks ago)
We know that the package was received by cic there.

and are now waiting...
He may have an urgent need to travel to be with his family but is now stuck without a passport in a foreign country. :eek:!

We have a hopeful feeling that approval could be imminent as his passport was requested. On the other hand, does the request for police check mean that they still had to go through everything and assess much of his paperwork? (meaning we have months and months to go) Or that his application ended up at the bottom of a pile somewhere again...?

When we check his status online it says:
"We received your application for permanent residence on November 15, 2013.

We started processing your application on February 27, 2014.

Medical results have been received."

but that's all.
(not very informative)

Does anyone have experience with this or with the Hong Kong office asking for passports too early?
Any idea what the HK timeline is like right now?

thanks so much!
Any knowledge appreciated.

iamroth

Champion Member
Jan 26, 2013
Category........
App. Filed.......
23-03-2018
Hi, What is the status of the passport now?

Thank you.