+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Hold my original passport

Dima1972

Sep 23, 2024
Good morning :
I m syrian refugee and I have my PR .
Is it legal to hold my syrian passport to travel to Saudi Arabia to visit my family only as they don’t accept the travel document anymore?
For sure I know that it is not allow to enter Syria
Thanks

Mancini

Star Member
Sep 6, 2023
Hello Dima.

The answer is definitely no! Nooooo!

You should not use your Syrian passport. Using the passport means that you accept to go under the protection of the government that you had originally sought protection from. This will trigger a cessation application by the Minister.

Read here:
https://www.irb-cisr.gc.ca/en/legal-policy/legal-concepts/Pages/RefDef12.aspx

(a) the person has voluntarily reavailed themself of the protection of their country of nationality;

Even though you have the PR, cessation will revoke your status and will trigger a deportation order. You will lose everything you have done!!

Reactions: canuck78

Dima1972

Sep 23, 2024
Hello Dima.

You should not use your Syrian passport. Using the passport means that you accept to go under the protection of the government that you had originally sought protection from. This will trigger a cessation application by the Minister.

Read here:

(a) the person has voluntarily reavailed themself of the protection of their country of nationality;

Even though you have the PR, cessation will revoke your status and will trigger a deportation order. You will lose everything you have done!!
Thanks

Dima1972

Sep 23, 2024
Hello Dima.

Read here:

Dima1972

Sep 23, 2024
If my parents who will issue it for me and it is 2 years passport only not 6 y as usual because I can’t enter my country cause I m a draft dodger from mandatory military service there.
In another hand the reason of using it that I m suffering from mental illness and I have medical report from my doctor in Canada that I need my family but unfortunately Saudi Arabia doesn’t accept travel document anymore
Is that can help ?

Canadian_rainbow

Aug 30, 2022
If my parents who will issue it for me and it is 2 years passport only not 6 y as usual because I can’t enter my country cause I m a draft dodger from mandatory military service there.
In another hand the reason of using it that I m suffering from mental illness and I have medical report from my doctor in Canada that I need my family but unfortunately Saudi Arabia doesn’t accept travel document anymore
Is that can help ?
Why you guys do not meet in a different country?

Canadian_rainbow

Aug 30, 2022
Because my parents are doctors and very busy and I need many months to recovery from my illness I will not go for tourism or luxury
Oh ok. I got it. But what I know is you shouldn’t;
1) Travel to your home country,
2) Renew your home country passport or
3) Travel with your home country passport (to anywhere)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Is that can help ?
No one can stop you from using your passport to travel. However this does create the potential risk of cessation. It's up to you if you want to take this risk of not.

So far the government only seems to be pursuing cases for cessation where the person has traveled to their home country. However this could potentially change in the future and the recommendation is not to renew your home county passport or use it for travel.

Again, ultimately up to you. There is no way to get an exception or approval from IRCC in advance so you would just need to travel, if that is the priority for you, and take the risk.

Dima1972

Sep 23, 2024
No one can stop you from using your passport to travel. However this does create the potential risk of cessation. It's up to you if you want to take this risk of not.

So far the government only seems to be pursuing cases for cessation where the person has traveled to their home country. However this could potentially change in the future and the recommendation is not to renew your home county passport or use it for travel.

Again, ultimately up to you. There is no way to get an exception or approval from IRCC in advance so you would just need to travel, if that is the priority for you, and take the risk.
You are right
The circumstances make me in very difficult situation
Thank you for you reply

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You are right
The circumstances make me in very difficult situation
Thank you for you reply
If you are prepared to lose status in Canada travel using your Syrian passport. The fact that you want to remain for a long period of time makes this even riskier. Unless you have another option to obtain permanent residency in another country you are taking such a huge risk. Have you explained to your family the potential consequences of using your Syrian passport? They may be more willing to visit you in a 3rd country if they know visiting them in KSA could lead to you losing status in Canada.