+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Hiv Positive applying for student visa in Quebec

sec990

May 19, 2019
Dear friends,
I am HIV Positive for 5 years. I am undetectable and my CD4 count is over 700. I am on Atrpila.
I am planning to apply for student visa in Quebec. But I have concerns about my ARVs.
Are ARVs free for international students? if not how much will be the cost per month?
I found this piece of information(you can find it in Italic font at the end of my message) in the internet but I am not sure this will apply to me or not?
I mean as an international student I should pay $87.16 per month to get my ARVs in Quebec? Am I right or not? I am so confused!
Thanks for your help in advance

In Quebec, everyone must be covered by prescription drug insurance. If a patient does not have private insurance, application can be made to the public plan, Régie de l’assurance maladie du Québec (RAMQ) by phone or internet. If the patient has private insurance through their work, they are obliged to use this insurance. There is no costs for the following populations : - holders of a claim slip (eg. patient receiving social assistance) - persons age 65 or older receiving 94-100% of guaranteed income supplement - children under age 18 - adults 18-25, full time students in an educational institution recognized by the Ministère du Travail, de l’Emploi et de la Solidarité sociale, without a spouse, and living with their parents For persons age 65 or older receiving 1 to 93% of guaranteed income supplement, there is a deductible and co-payment charge of: $18.85 + (Total cost of prescription -18.85) x 34.5% to a maximum of $52.16/month (or $626/year). For everyone else in the public plan, there is a deductible and co-payment charge of: $18.85 + (Total cost of prescription -18.85) x 34.5% to a maximum of $87.16/month (or $1046/year). There is also a yearly premium collected by Revenue Quebec based on net family income when taxes are filed. The maximum monthly and annual contributions are revised on June 30th of every year. Certain patients with partial private insurance (eg. 80%) can also enroll in the RAMQ to help with costs. http://www.ramq.gouv.qc.ca/en/publications/citizens/legal-publications/Pages/listmedications.aspx For more information: 514-934-1934 ext 32191 (pharmacist at the Chronic Viral Illness Service)

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Dear friends,
I am HIV Positive for 5 years. I am undetectable and my CD4 count is over 700. I am on Atrpila.
I am planning to apply for student visa in Quebec. But I have concerns about my ARVs.
Are ARVs free for international students? if not how much will be the cost per month?
I found this piece of information(you can find it in Italic font at the end of my message) in the internet but I am not sure this will apply to me or not?
I mean as an international student I should pay $87.16 per month to get my ARVs in Quebec? Am I right or not? I am so confused!
Thanks for your help in advance

In Quebec, everyone must be covered by prescription drug insurance. If a patient does not have private insurance, application can be made to the public plan, Régie de l’assurance maladie du Québec (RAMQ) by phone or internet. If the patient has private insurance through their work, they are obliged to use this insurance. There is no costs for the following populations : - holders of a claim slip (eg. patient receiving social assistance) - persons age 65 or older receiving 94-100% of guaranteed income supplement - children under age 18 - adults 18-25, full time students in an educational institution recognized by the Ministère du Travail, de l’Emploi et de la Solidarité sociale, without a spouse, and living with their parents For persons age 65 or older receiving 1 to 93% of guaranteed income supplement, there is a deductible and co-payment charge of: $18.85 + (Total cost of prescription -18.85) x 34.5% to a maximum of $52.16/month (or $626/year). For everyone else in the public plan, there is a deductible and co-payment charge of: $18.85 + (Total cost of prescription -18.85) x 34.5% to a maximum of $87.16/month (or $1046/year). There is also a yearly premium collected by Revenue Quebec based on net family income when taxes are filed. The maximum monthly and annual contributions are revised on June 30th of every year. Certain patients with partial private insurance (eg. 80%) can also enroll in the RAMQ to help with costs. http://www.ramq.gouv.qc.ca/en/publications/citizens/legal-publications/Pages/listmedications.aspx For more information: 514-934-1934 ext 32191 (pharmacist at the Chronic Viral Illness Service)
Would suggest looking at the health insurance programs offered for international students in the college or university you wish to attend in Quebec. You are looking at the general information for those who have RAMQ. When students are mentioned they are referring to domestic students.

sec990

May 19, 2019
Would suggest looking at the health insurance programs offered for international students in the college or university you wish to attend in Quebec. You are looking at the general information for those who have RAMQ. When students are mentioned they are referring to domestic students.
Thanks for your help.
My university offers Blue Cross Health insurance.in the booklet it says it pays $30,000 per benefit year or $15000 if related to a pre-existing condition for Prescription Drugs. Does it mean that it will include ARVs or not? and is it enough? I don't know how much should I pay for my ARVs if I don't have an insurance.in the booklet it doesn't say anything about HIV.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for your help.
My university offers Blue Cross Health insurance.in the booklet it says it pays $30,000 per benefit year or $15000 if related to a pre-existing condition for Prescription Drugs. Does it mean that it will include ARVs or not? and is it enough? I don't know how much should I pay for my ARVs if I don't have an insurance.in the booklet it doesn't say anything about HIV.
Yes ARVs should be included in drugs covered for pre-existing conditions. Yes that should be enough although you will have to look up your exact prescription costs in Canada. The most commonly prescribed therapies for HIV in Canada will be less than 15k/year. Canada currently doesn’t have a national pharmacare program so you will have to consider the cost of medication, access programs, etc. when thinking about moving or taking a job in Canada. Finding a job that provides extended health insurance (covers medication, dental care, vision care, etc.) may be be something you prioritize when looking for employment. Prescription coverage varies by province. Some provinces have prescription coverage for all although not every medication is covered. Some provinces also have special programs that allows access to HIV therapies for free or at reduced cost. Each province is different. While you are a temporary resident of Canada (anything but citizen or PR) you are also able to receive a 3 month supply of medication from abroad. If needed your friends or family could courier you your ARVs from abroad.

Reactions: sec990

SKant

Star Member
Apr 16, 2022
In addition to what the other user said, get your health insurance info from your university and give bluecross a call and ask them directly. Not to discount the other user, but you would obtian the accurate and most up-to-date response. RAMQ is a quebec-provincial insurance for individuals who hold a work permit or canadian citizens who are quebecers, not for international students.

Reactions: sec990

sec990

May 19, 2019
Yes ARVs should be included in drugs covered for pre-existing conditions. Yes that should be enough although you will have to look up your exact prescription costs in Canada. The most commonly prescribed therapies for HIV in Canada will be less than 15k/year. Canada currently doesn’t have a national pharmacare program so you will have to consider the cost of medication, access programs, etc. when thinking about moving or taking a job in Canada. Finding a job that provides extended health insurance (covers medication, dental care, vision care, etc.) may be be something you prioritize when looking for employment. Prescription coverage varies by province. Some provinces have prescription coverage for all although not every medication is covered. Some provinces also have special programs that allows access to HIV therapies for free or at reduced cost. Each province is different. While you are a temporary resident of Canada (anything but citizen or PR) you are also able to receive a 3 month supply of medication from abroad. If needed your friends or family could courier you your ARVs from abroad.
I really appreciate your help.
I have an other question.
In which immigration form I should tell about my HIV status?
in 1294 form there is a question :
do you have any physical or mental disorder that would require social and or health services other than medication during stay in Canada?
should I say No or Yes to answer this question? I am in a good condition. I only need ARVs.
I am from the country that doesn't need medical test for student visa. If I say No to this question will I have trouble in getting the ARVs in Canada or in the process of PR after my study ?
apart from this 1294 form is there an other form that I will be asked about my health in the process of visa?
please help.
Thanks a lot.

Last edited:

sec990

May 19, 2019
I really appreciate your help.
I have an other question.
In which immigration form I should tell about my HIV status?
in 1294 form there is a question :
do you have any physical or mental disorder that would require social and or health services other than medication during stay in Canada?
should I say No or Yes to answer this question? I am in a good condition. I only need ARVs.
I am from the country that doesn't need medical test for student visa. If I say No to this question will I have trouble in getting the ARVs in Canada or in the process of PR after my study ?
apart from this 1294 form is there an other form that I will be asked about my health in the process of visa?
please help.
Thanks a lot.
Can anybody help me?
Thank you friends.