+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help with Bridging Open Work Permit while PR Application is Processing

adatta

Aug 1, 2018
Some background:
Graduated from University in Ontario in June 2015. Received my Post Grad Work Pemit (Open Permit) in August 2015 and have been working with the same company ever since. Work permit expires this month. I know I am super late on this.

I am submitting my PR application today and want to send my BWOP application in the next day or two as well. However, when I fill out the questionnaire to access the application, the only way to access Open Work Permit Application is by selecting 'Yes' for if my PR application has been approved in principal. What does this mean? I am in a desperate situation - can I submit my PR application and BWOP a day or two before my PGWP expires even though I do not have Approval in Principal? I can include a Letter of Explanation?

Please let me know!

mcaranay

Star Member
Apr 3, 2018
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
07-11-2017
Med's Done....
07-26-2017
Passport Req..
09-05-2017
Some background:
Graduated from University in Ontario in June 2015. Received my Post Grad Work Pemit (Open Permit) in August 2015 and have been working with the same company ever since. Work permit expires this month. I know I am super late on this.

I am submitting my PR application today and want to send my BWOP application in the next day or two as well. However, when I fill out the questionnaire to access the application, the only way to access Open Work Permit Application is by selecting 'Yes' for if my PR application has been approved in principal. What does this mean? I am in a desperate situation - can I submit my PR application and BWOP a day or two before my PGWP expires even though I do not have Approval in Principal? I can include a Letter of Explanation?

Please let me know!
You may only apply for BOWP when your application for PR was already received by CIC/IRCC.
You will receive a confirmation email or Acknowledgement of receipt(AOR). In this document there is something that goes like this:

Bridging open work permit

If you are currently working in Canada on a work permit that is about to expire, and you meet all other
requirements, you may use this letter to apply for a bridging open work permit. For more information, visit our website.

You are cautioned that if we reject your application for permanent residence as incomplete:

• we will refuse your completed application for a bridging open work permit; and
• your processing fees for a bridging open work permit will not be refunded.

======================

By answering YES, it means you got the AOR, and that you are the principal applicant.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Some background:

I am submitting my PR application today
Do you mean you have already received an ITA, and are submitting the eAPR? Or do you mean you are submitting the expression of interest profile?

and want to send my BWOP application in the next day or two as well. However, when I fill out the questionnaire to access the application, the only way to access Open Work Permit Application is by selecting 'Yes' for if my PR application has been approved in principal. What does this mean?

Assuming you have received the ITA and have submitted your eAPR, select "yes."

"Approval in principal" is an old term that pre-dates the Express Entry system. Under express entry, it means that you have received an ITA and have submitted a complete eAPR.

You can submit your application for the BOWP as soon as you have submitted your eAPR and received the electronic aknowledgment (AOR) email, usually sent within 24 hours. Your BOWP will not be processed, however, until your eAPR has passed the completeness review. If your eAPR is rejected as in complete, your BOWP application will be refused. So be 100% certain that your eAPR is complete.

I am in a desperate situation - can I submit my PR application and BWOP a day or two before my PGWP expires even though I do not have Approval in Principal? I can include a Letter of Explanation?

As long as your BOWP application is submitted AFTER you submit your eAPR and before your current permit expires (up to and including the day of expiry), it is OK. But you should not wait until you get "approval in principal" because IRCC does not send you any notification.

These are the criteria, which you appear to meet.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/extend-permit/bridging-open-work-permit.html

"You may be eligible for a bridging open work permit if:

• you applied for permanent residence
  • your current work permit expires in 4 months or less
  • you have valid status on your work permit
  • you are currently in Canada"
/QUOTE]