+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help: Visitor record and applying for an extension

Chillispau

Feb 15, 2014
Hello everybody,
I'm looking for someone who has been through the same situation or something similar who can help us. First, I'd like to give you some more background information about our story so you get a better panorama of our situation.

I am a 24 year old Mexican woman inlove with my amazing boyfriend. He is 32 years old and Canadian citizen. My boyfriend and I have been together as a couple for 2 years, 3 months (living away). He's been to Mexico with me, but because of his job, he hasn't come back in a year. However, my job is more flexible and has allowed me to go to Canada more. I've been there three times. The first time I was there was in August 2013 to his brother's wedding. I stayed 5 days. My 2nd time was in Novemeber 2013, I stayed only 3 weeks, because I got a "Visitor Record" on my passport where the governement was asking me to leave within that time. And I did. 3rd time was in Decemeber 2013, and once again, I got a "Visitor Record" allowing me stay 4 weeks and I stayed 4 weeks. (By the way, I received my "Visitor records" because I always was honest about my realtionship and intentions: visiting my boyfriend to spend quality time)

We really really want to be together more than 3 weeks, so we've been reading and we've found out about "Extending your visit" application. However, in order to apply for that, it needs to be prior 30 before your status expires because that's the amount of time that the process takes online. But as you can see, the government never allows me to be there more than 4 weeks, so I can't really apply for that. Is there anything else we can do?

We've also read that when you apply for "Extending your visa" you get something called "Implied status" which means you can stay In Canada while they analize the situation and give you an answer. So my question is: if I could apply on time to extend my visit, Can I still get an "Implied status" eventhough I have been issued a "Visitor record" stapled on my passport asking me to leave the country certain date?

I really appreciate you take the time to read and to give me a piece of advice. I'd really appreciate it. If you need more background information,let me know. We're open to hear your experience and learn more.

user828

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2012
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi ( Parents Sponsorship )
App. Filed.......
19-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
Yes, you can apply for extension and will be on implied status till they reply back

Chillispau

Feb 15, 2014
Hello user 828, thanks for replying back.
So, I can apply for an extension if the CBSA agent allows me to stay more than 30 days. But if he doesnt.... is there anything else I can do? or is that game over?

user828

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2012
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi ( Parents Sponsorship )
App. Filed.......
19-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
Chillispau said:
So, I can apply for an extension if the CBSA agent allows me to stay more than 30 days. But if he doesnt.... is there anything else I can do? or is that game over?
As far as I know, you should do it 30 days, ( its more like recommendation ) and if they don't extend then you have to leave

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/extend-stay.asp

little_apple

Jun 11, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna/Austria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 20, 2013
Doc's Request.
June 4, 2013 & February 18, 2014
AOR Received.
May 5, 2013
File Transfer...
May 27, 2013
Med's Done....
April 4, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
exempt
VISA ISSUED...
April 17, 2014
LANDED..........
in Calgary since March 29, 2012. Landed as PR May 3, 2014
They recommend to apply for an extension 30 days in advance to give it enough time but I just applied in the end of January online and received my extension within 10 days. Processing times for visitor visa extensions are really short right now. Good luck

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Chillispau said:
It doesn't matter how long the CBSA agent gives you on entry. CIC only recommends that you apply 30 days prior to expiry; it's not a requirement. You can apply for an extension up to the day before your status expires. If you were given a 10 day visitor record, you have up to the 9th day to apply for an extension. After the 10th day, you would be on Implied Status until they decided on the extension.