+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help ! Spousal Sponsorship & TRV before or after marriage confusion

gagan09

Mar 16, 2017
Hi All ,

To start - Immense thanks to this forum that I was able to secure my ITA & COPR and I am scheduled to land mid October 2017 to confirm my PR. (Doing a soft landing & will return to India after staying two weeks in Canada) :) :)

Problem statement -
1. My marriage is scheduled next year in March 2018, post which I wish to travel with my wife permanently to Canada as I am confirming my PR now with the initial landing this October. To make this possible I see only one option as below -

A. TRV for wife before marriage : Get a multi entry TRV processed for her as single person before our marriage, giving a pretext of tourism/visiting friends for 2-3 weeks.

B. Apply Outland PR sponsorship after I get a job - she travels back after 6 months of TRV exhaustion and wait the rest in India, until PR goes through.

Confusion points :
a. Approach 1 - On the border - Immigration officers often ask if you are travelling alone or with someone, if we travel together and we mention our relationship as married, can her entry be stopped? Can it be termed as misrepresentation against her TRV ?

b. Approach 2 - On the border - Can we state we are traveling alone and don't mention our relationship & enter as separate single individuals. Can this jeopardise the PR sponsorship later --
b.1) as I read there is a question in the sponsorship application 'Did you visit your spouse earlier? ' if answered 'No' can it cause a red flag? : As she should have stayed 6 months after coming initially for 2-3 weeks.
b.2)we mentioned us to be single at POE but in reality we are married - do the relationship status gets logged and can this cause any trouble in PR sponsorship later ? ( dont like lying to be honest ! :( )

c. She has no travel history outside India till now - Can there be questioning on her intent to travel to Canada.

d. Any possible impact to PR Spouse sponsorship later if she stays with me initially for few months on TRV?

What should the best approach be ?

And i understand one common advise - that I should marry first and include her in my application right now. But thats not feasible as the date of marriage is already set in march and my temporary visa to enter Canada for PR expires in Feb.

Thanks a million in advance for all responses ! I Couldn't be more thankful to this forum for all the effort people put in here to resolve questions and help others. Thanks again.

Kindest Regards,
Gagan09

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I think you're worrying about too much in advance. Without travel history - it's quite possible / likely the TRV will be refused. If the TRV is refused - then you'll have no choice but to sponsor her outland. I would first focus on applying for the TRV and see if that's successful. If it's approved - you can then worry about what you say at the border.

gagan09

Mar 16, 2017
Thanks ! She has few family members there who can give the letter of invitation.

But if TRV refusal is too high what route other tourists choose? I mean if one doesn't have anyone in Canada and shows the hotel bookings and itinerary/tickets, does the TRV still gets rejected?