+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

[HELP] Previous work permit refusal, possibly unintended unauthorized employment, and ongoing PR application

oct2023

Mar 8, 2024
I'm a postdoctoral research working at a public university.

My work permit (closed LMIA-exempt) set to expired on July 30th 2023, and I applied for an extension of permit on July 21th 2023.

I got the ITA on Aug 2023, submitted my application, and got the AOR on Sep 13, 2023.

I was requested to upload my diploma for work permit extension on Oct 5, 2023 but I didn't read the message (I misunderstood that the message was linked to my pr application and failed to read the message onetime). As a result, my application was refused on Oct 13, 2023 (I didn't know it then)

HR requested my updated permit on October 17, 2023 and I found the refusal letter on the same day.

I urgently requested consultations with the HR staff who provides advice for international students and foreign employees.

She said that I can apply for the new extension or bridging open work permit and in my case I'm still on maintained status.

I kept working and my salary was deposited on oct 24 (regular day)

I had a conference in the US and since my spouse is a student in the US and my work can be done remotely. I stayed in the US and my home country until Mar 2nd, 2023.

When I came back to Canada, the CBSA officer told me that I lost my maintained status because I left Canada in November.

I stopped working and did flagpole on Mar 7 to get the new work permit.

Since my PR application is being delayed, I requested the GCMS not and Mar 6th I received it and read it today.

From GCMS note, I found that I lost my status since Oct 13th for my eligibility check.

In fact, my eligibility was still passed, the security check hasn't even started.

Now I realize that I'm engaged in unauthorized work, what actions can I take for now?

According to my research, it looks like my pr is likely to be refused due to non-compliance (unauthorized employment).

Is there any possibility to go through this situation?

I'm extremely desperate, since I've got a great permanent job offer and am currently pregnant.

Also, please refer a great lawyer if you know any. I had a contact with a lawyer last month and he even didn't know that I lost my status like the HR staff does.

Please, please help me to find a solution...

Thank you for reading.

Last edited: