+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

*HELP* PGWP/PASSPORT EXTENSION/TRV

Mar 27, 2020
Hey Guys,

This is Abhishek and I had applied for my PGWP (I did a 1 year course and am not planning to go back for another year of studies; I have an active EE-FSW profile) on May 25th 2020 and have got an "In Canada Approval Letter" (imm5754; type Permit - WP-EXT / Permis - PT-PROR) in my IRCC portal on June 10th 2020.

• I have physically NOT received my Work Permit to my residential address via postal mail.
  • The PGWP tenure has been granted based on my OLD passport that expires in February 2021 (this is less than the 1 year I am entitled to)
  • Few days after I applied for my PGWP(went to implied status), I received my NEW passport (through BLS) that is valid until February 2030.
Had few queries regarding what needs to be done next and would be very grateful if I got some additional clarity on this:

1) Since I physically do not have the actual study permit with me, I do not know if they have added the NOTES that states that I can apply for a PGWP Extension (based on my Passport expiry before getting the whole year)

2) I realize that I need to apply for a TRV (imm5257e) that requires my passport to be stamped, this I believe is similar in principle to having a Study Visa stuck on my passport

3) I am not too sure if
a) I need to apply for a TRV as soon as I receive the physical PGWP (based on my old passport Feb 2021) and get a TRV only till Feb 2021

-OR-

b) Should I wait for my physical PGWP, see the actual notes section that might tell me if I can apply for a PGWP extension, apply for the said PGWP extension(using STATUS AS WORKER; Question 7, personal details, imm5710e), wait for the extension to be granted and physically receive the work permit and then apply for a TRV based on the newer passport details.

4) How soon do you need to apply for a PGWP extension, do I need to do it via POST immediately (since I have my NEW passport with me) or can I wait for some time before I apply for my PGWP extension (my current PGWP expires in Feb 2021, so can I apply for the extension around November 2020?)

5) My student SIN expires on July 31st 2020, I need to renew it via Service Canada, do I need to wait for clarity on the above questions inorder to get this done or can I go ahead and RENEW my SIN (is this a parallel process?)

Additional Context:
In the Immigration Canada site I answered the below queries like this and received an option to apply for TRV (could you please check and let me know if I have done this correctly?)

What would you like to do in Canada?
Work

How long are you planning to stay in Canada?

Temporarily - more than 6 months

What is your current immigration status in Canada?
Worker (am assuming this is correct since I have received a PGWP)

Do you have a written job offer?
No

Which of the following best describes your situation?

I have an open work permit

Thank you for reading this far and for helping me better understand how the process works Post-PGWP :)