+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help needed..visa turned down

shar1406

Nov 2, 2009
Hi,

I have got a 6 month unpaid internship with the university of waterloo in my capacity as a journalist. I was told that internship did not need an LMO. I got a reject letter from the consulate saying that I dont have an LMO. What should an LMO exempt letter state?

Please help!
Sharada

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

shar1406 said:
Hi,

I have got a 6 month unpaid internship with the university of waterloo in my capacity as a journalist. I was told that internship did not need an LMO. I got a reject letter from the consulate saying that I dont have an LMO. What should an LMO exempt letter state?

Please help!
Sharada
You need an LMO,and a work permit. the internship is considered work as you are not a student in Canada. From the Foreign Workers Manual.

"Examples of “work” include, but are not limited to:
• a foreign technician coming to repair a machine, or otherwise fulfil a contract, even when they
will not be paid directly by the Canadian company for whom they are doing the work;
• self-employment, which could constitute a competitive economic activity such as opening a
dry- cleaning shop or fast-food franchise. (A self-employed person may also be considered to
be working if they receive a commission or payment for services);
unpaid employment undertaken for the purpose of obtaining work experience, such as an
internship or practicum normally done by a student.

PMM

shar1406

Nov 2, 2009
Thanks for the reply. From what I have seen in the website, news reporters do not need a work visa. That is one and I am a news reporter going to be working for Canada's oldest environmental magazine, the alternatives journal.

Also, another thing is that this is NGO/not for profit, and I am going to be starting up an environmental project for the university which is going to create a significant impact. Despite these factors, do I still need an LMO?

I wrote to the consulate before applying and they informed me that if there are sufficient enough proof to convey that my work is going to have a social impact, I come under LMO exempt. When I checked with VFS, they told me I dont need an LMO. Can someone give me an accurate reply?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

shar1406 said:
Thanks for the reply. From what I have seen in the website, news reporters do not need a work visa. That is one and I am a news reporter going to be working for Canada's oldest environmental magazine, the alternatives journal.

Also, another thing is that this is NGO/not for profit, and I am going to be starting up an environmental project for the university which is going to create a significant impact. Despite these factors, do I still need an LMO?

I wrote to the consulate before applying and they informed me that if there are sufficient enough proof to convey that my work is going to have a social impact, I come under LMO exempt. When I checked with VFS, they told me I dont need an LMO. Can someone give me an accurate reply?
You got your answer from the "horses mouth", CHC/CIC said that you needed an LMO.

PMM

shar1406

Nov 2, 2009
Thanks for the info. My employer is in Waterloo. Can she apply for an LMO in Kitchener? Where should the supporting documents be sent?

I would appreciate if you can reply to this question.