+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help Needed: PGWP Extension After Receiving Only 1 Year Due to Passport Expiry

ahmedisimran

Sep 12, 2024
Hello everyone,

I’m seeking guidance from anyone who has faced a similar situation or from experts who can help me navigate this process. Here’s my situation:

1. Program Details: I completed a 2-year diploma in April 2023 in Ontario.
2. Initial PGWP Application: I applied for my Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) in May 2023, and it was approved in August 2023. However, I received only a 1-year PGWP because my passport was expiring.
3. Passport Renewal: I have since renewed my passport and now want to extend my PGWP to the full 3 years (as I’m eligible for a 3-year permit due to my 2-year program).
4. Current Issue: I tried to extend the PGWP by myself, and while filling out the application on the IRCC portal, I was prompted to provide IMM5710, my passport, and a digital photo. My concern is that there’s no specific option or section to explain my situation (that the original work permit was shortened due to passport expiry).
I’m worried that if I submit without explaining this, my application may not be processed correctly. I haven’t submitted the application yet because I want to ensure I’m following the right process.
5. Employment Status: I’m currently unemployed and don’t have a job offer or letter of employment at the moment. My question is: Do I need to have a job offer or letter of employment to apply for this extension?
6. Seeking Help: I’m looking for advice from:
• Anyone who has gone through a similar situation and successfully extended their PGWP after their passport renewal.
• Immigration lawyers or experts who can guide me on how to handle this situation and ensure my application includes the necessary information to explain the shortened duration.

I’m currently in Ontario, and I applied for the PGWP from Ontario as well. Any help, insights, or guidance on the proper process would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello everyone,

I’m seeking guidance from anyone who has faced a similar situation or from experts who can help me navigate this process. Here’s my situation:

1. Program Details: I completed a 2-year diploma in April 2023 in Ontario.
2. Initial PGWP Application: I applied for my Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) in May 2023, and it was approved in August 2023. However, I received only a 1-year PGWP because my passport was expiring.
3. Passport Renewal: I have since renewed my passport and now want to extend my PGWP to the full 3 years (as I’m eligible for a 3-year permit due to my 2-year program).
4. Current Issue: I tried to extend the PGWP by myself, and while filling out the application on the IRCC portal, I was prompted to provide IMM5710, my passport, and a digital photo. My concern is that there’s no specific option or section to explain my situation (that the original work permit was shortened due to passport expiry).
I’m worried that if I submit without explaining this, my application may not be processed correctly. I haven’t submitted the application yet because I want to ensure I’m following the right process.
5. Employment Status: I’m currently unemployed and don’t have a job offer or letter of employment at the moment. My question is: Do I need to have a job offer or letter of employment to apply for this extension?
6. Seeking Help: I’m looking for advice from:
• Anyone who has gone through a similar situation and successfully extended their PGWP after their passport renewal.
• Immigration lawyers or experts who can guide me on how to handle this situation and ensure my application includes the necessary information to explain the shortened duration.

I’m currently in Ontario, and I applied for the PGWP from Ontario as well. Any help, insights, or guidance on the proper process would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
So PGWP has expired or not? If it expired then what is your status now? If expired you cannot work until approved. PGWP extension due to passport expiry is done by paper. You don’t need a job offer.

If you need to extend your PGWP or change its conditions
You must apply on paper if you’re extending or changing the conditions of your PGWP. You can only extend your PGWP if your passport expired before your PGWP’s validity period.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/work/after-graduation/apply.html#extend