Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Mar 2010
VISA ISSUED...
Mar 2010
LANDED..........
August 2010
I have got Canadian Immigration and will be landing soon, I will be working for US company and getting salary from US but my job assignment will be in Brunei, upon landing i will do all the paper work and fly back to Brunei but my family will be in Canada.

Do I need to pay tax in such situation, will bank deduct the tax amount if my salary is transferred to Canadian bank, or I have to pay at the end of year by appearing in front of revenue department.

Lastly I believe my family will be eligible for citizenship once they completed three years, will i be eligible to get citizenship if proving that i am paying taxes and have ties (family) in Canada.

thanks

wajahat

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have already answered your question in the skilled worker board

alex123

Sep 9, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes you have to pay taxes wherever you live because your family live in Canada so try to pay your tax on time in order to prevent your family from any future agitation.Law always prevails on the Canada"s territory.I think you got the answer of your question.

Jonboy

Star Member
Sep 10, 2010
White Rock, BC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
29-07-1999
khanwaja said:
I have got Canadian Immigration and will be landing soon, I will be working for US company and getting salary from US but my job assignment will be in Brunei, upon landing i will do all the paper work and fly back to Brunei but my family will be in Canada.

Do I need to pay tax in such situation, will bank deduct the tax amount if my salary is transferred to Canadian bank, or I have to pay at the end of year by appearing in front of revenue department.
The question is, "will you be a tax resident of Canada?" IMO if you are a PR and your family lives in Canada and you have a home in Canada then you will, almost certainly, be tax resident here. Therefore you are taxable in Canada on your worldwide income.

The bank will not deduct any Canadian tax. You will need to file a Canadian tax return for the year declaring all your income. You can claim a tax credit for income tax paid to the US or Brunei. You pay the balance, if any, to the Canadian government.

Lastly I believe my family will be eligible for citizenship once they completed three years, will i be eligible to get citizenship if proving that i am paying taxes and have ties (family) in Canada.

thanks

wajahat
No. You have to be physically present in Canada as a permanent resident* for three of the four years preceding your application to qualify for citizenship.

* in some circumstances you can count half the time spent in Canada on a work permit.