+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

HELP NEEDED: I exceeded the 6 months of studies while PGWK

diod92

Aug 10, 2018
Hello, this is my story:

After studying for a master’s degree for two years, I applied for a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP). After one year on the PGWP, I submitted my application for permanent residency (PR). While awaiting my PR, I decided to enroll in a private mechanical school. The school promised that the program would last 22 weeks (5.5 months) and assured me that many students with work permits enroll because the program is shorter than 6 months. Their website also mentioned that the training course lasts less than 6 months.

I called IRCC (Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada) to confirm, and they told me that as long as the entire program was less than 6 months, studying with my PGWP would not be an issue. However, a month before finishing my classes, I received a balance statement from the school and noticed that the length of the training was actually 27 weeks. I immediately contacted the principal to inform him that I had clearly stated at the time of enrollment that I needed to complete the program in less than 6 months. He explained that the program included 5 weeks of internship, which I could complete while working at a garage. He reassured me that there would be no problem and that he could adjust the dates on any official documents if needed. I have an email from him confirming this.

After completing the training in 5.5 months, I continued working at my then job. Three months after, I took a job at a garage and called the school to complete some paperwork required for issuing me a mechanician card. Essentially, my employer was required to evaluate me during the 5-week internship period, I was told by administrator that this was not considered as part of the studies.

A couple of months later I got my PR approved and I forgot about this fact. Now, I want to apply for citizenship and I need to provide my deails of work and education for last 5 years, so I need to put the details of this training (otherwise I will be hiding this information, which is misrepresentation and has severe consequences). I checked on the T2022 forms that the school sent to ARC and they filed scholarship fees for 7 full-time months, it says from July to December (6 months) and from January to February (1 month). However the dates I went to school were from July 24th 2020 to January 21, 2021 (5.5 months). I feel that once I submit my citizenship application they will realize this issue and refuse my application and revoke my permanent residency, on the basis that I broke the conditions of my PGWP. I am heartbroken, I hve lost my sleep for the last month, hesitating if waiting a couple of yearsto apply for citizenship will only make longer my suffering and anyways I will eventually mess up my life. What can I do now? I tried to reach the school but they left me alone, they avoid taking responsability and refuse to help me, ignoring my calls and emails.

forevermore76

May 19, 2024
Hello, this is my story:

After studying for a master’s degree for two years, I applied for a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP). After one year on the PGWP, I submitted my application for permanent residency (PR). While awaiting my PR, I decided to enroll in a private mechanical school. The school promised that the program would last 22 weeks (5.5 months) and assured me that many students with work permits enroll because the program is shorter than 6 months. Their website also mentioned that the training course lasts less than 6 months.

I called IRCC (Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada) to confirm, and they told me that as long as the entire program was less than 6 months, studying with my PGWP would not be an issue. However, a month before finishing my classes, I received a balance statement from the school and noticed that the length of the training was actually 27 weeks. I immediately contacted the principal to inform him that I had clearly stated at the time of enrollment that I needed to complete the program in less than 6 months. He explained that the program included 5 weeks of internship, which I could complete while working at a garage. He reassured me that there would be no problem and that he could adjust the dates on any official documents if needed. I have an email from him confirming this.

After completing the training in 5.5 months, I continued working at my then job. Three months after, I took a job at a garage and called the school to complete some paperwork required for issuing me a mechanician card. Essentially, my employer was required to evaluate me during the 5-week internship period, I was told by administrator that this was not considered as part of the studies.

A couple of months later I got my PR approved and I forgot about this fact. Now, I want to apply for citizenship and I need to provide my deails of work and education for last 5 years, so I need to put the details of this training (otherwise I will be hiding this information, which is misrepresentation and has severe consequences). I checked on the T2022 forms that the school sent to ARC and they filed scholarship fees for 7 full-time months, it says from July to December (6 months) and from January to February (1 month). However the dates I went to school were from July 24th 2020 to January 21, 2021 (5.5 months). I feel that once I submit my citizenship application they will realize this issue and refuse my application and revoke my permanent residency, on the basis that I broke the conditions of my PGWP. I am heartbroken, I hve lost my sleep for the last month, hesitating if waiting a couple of yearsto apply for citizenship will only make longer my suffering and anyways I will eventually mess up my life. What can I do now? I tried to reach the school but they left me alone, they avoid taking responsability and refuse to help me, ignoring my calls and emails.
Attach a letter to IRCC with your application explaining everything or just wait a few years when it's not within the 5 year window.

Reactions: diod92

diod92

Aug 10, 2018
Attach a letter to IRCC with your application explaining everything or just wait a few years when it's not within the 5 year window.
Do you recommend me to attach ti beforehand, or just in case they send me a letter to provide more information about it?