+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help needed for TRV as a Self-Employed applicant

shahwaizks

Feb 16, 2019
Dear all,

I am a self-employed individual living in Dubai, UAE on a residence visa with family. We are planning on applying for a TRV for Canada for the purpose of visiting my sister-in-law (my spouse's sister who is a Canadian born). My queries to all the senior & experienced members are as follows:
1. As the primary applicant, what will be the specified purpose of travel for me? Can it be a family visit, considering my relation to my sister-in-law is not an immediate one?
2. In the case of a sole-proprietary company as my self-employment do I have to submit my company bank account statement or can I submit my personal savings bank account statement?

Apart from the above two questions any relevant guidance or advice would be much appreciated, thanks.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Dear all,

I am a self-employed individual living in Dubai, UAE on a residence visa with family. We are planning on applying for a TRV for Canada for the purpose of visiting my sister-in-law (my spouse's sister who is a Canadian born). My queries to all the senior & experienced members are as follows:
1. As the primary applicant, what will be the specified purpose of travel for me? Can it be a family visit, considering my relation to my sister-in-law is not an immediate one?
Family visit. You wouldn't be staying in hotels and traveling on your own, right? And, your sister-in-law is related to you by law.

If you won't be staying with your sister-in-law then select 'Tourist'.

2. In the case of a sole-proprietary company as my self-employment do I have to submit my company bank account statement or can I submit my personal savings bank account statement?
Both.

Apart from the above two questions any relevant guidance or advice would be much appreciated, thanks.
Do go through this forum for similar cases to get a better idea of the documents

shahwaizks

Feb 16, 2019
Family visit. You wouldn't be staying in hotels and traveling on your own, right? And, your sister-in-law is related to you by law.

If you won't be staying with your sister-in-law then select 'Tourist'.

Both.

Do go through this forum for similar cases to get a better idea of the documents
Dear Bryanna, thanks a lot for replying. Will definitely go through the relevant threads for more info. Though I would be grateful if you could help me out in one more area, please. I went through a similar thread and found out that for self-employed, the individuals should submit their annual income. In my case, my company's license was incorporated in the year 2002, whereas I have taken over the company just 8 months back (P.S. I am not associated to the previous owners in any way). How would I be able to present my annual income? Can it be a projected annual income taking in to account the 8 months average? Once again I am grateful for your feedback.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Dear Bryanna, thanks a lot for replying. Will definitely go through the relevant threads for more info. Though I would be grateful if you could help me out in one more area, please. I went through a similar thread and found out that for self-employed, the individuals should submit their annual income. In my case, my company's license was incorporated in the year 2002, whereas I have taken over the company just 8 months back (P.S. I am not associated to the previous owners in any way). How would I be able to present my annual income? Can it be a projected annual income taking in to account the 8 months average? Once again I am grateful for your feedback.
You would need to prove that your company has been actively trading (records for at least one year and current):
Company website + company profile + customer lists + work contracts/purchase orders + company bank statement + tax returns + audit reports + profit/loss statement + employees/salaries paid, etc etc

Projected income will not work. No one can predict the future. If payments are expected in the next few weeks/months (and which you can prove against valid customer orders, for example) then you can include those proofs. Nonetheless, your income is as-on-date.

As you know, income is net i.e. after factoring in all business-related expenses, loans/mortgages, etc