+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help Needed after Acceptance Letter

sundevil

Star Member
Jul 4, 2014
Hi all,

My wife has applied for and received the acceptance letter from Conestoga College, Canada for Embedded Systems Development ( Graduate Certificate) (1 semester mandatory Co-op) for 2 years. She is currently living with me in the United States in F-2 visa.

Could someone help me with the following questions.

• How could I find out if this program would be eligible for a 3-year post graduate work permit?
  • She has completed her Bachelors in Electronics and communication Engineering in 2005 in India and had worked for 3 years in the field of communication. So she has a gap of 10 years now after bachelors. Would that be a problem in getting a study permit?
  • Could someone please let me know the next steps in applying for her study permit and open work permit for me and how we could make our application stronger to guarantee a visa
  • Is it better/easier to apply for study permit here in the US or back in India

Thanks for your help

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
  • How could I find out if this program would be eligible for a 3-year post graduate work permit?
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-postgrad-who.asp

• She has completed her Bachelors in Electronics and communication Engineering in 2005 in India and had worked for 3 years in the field of communication. So she has a gap of 10 years now after bachelors. Would that be a problem in getting a study permit?
well it could be a problem if she has not done anything in 10 years as visa officer may think she is not a genuine student....being said that just the gap on its own wont be a reason for rejection. complete profile, choice of program, financial situation etc all matter

• Could someone please let me know the next steps in applying for her study permit and open work permit for me and how we could make our application stronger to guarantee a visa
there r no guarantees in visa process....u should decide where ur applying and check requirements of that visa office. as an indian u can use below to prepare ur application
http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/india-inde/visas/forms-formulaires.aspx?lang=eng

• Is it better/easier to apply for study permit here in the US or back in India
i found it easier to apply from india as US visa office takes a long time as compared to india. but it was my personal choice .

[/list]

sundevil

Star Member
Jul 4, 2014
Hi mead,

Thanks for the response.

In the acceptance letter, the program is mentioned as 2 year program, but the course duration is from May 2015 till Aug 2016 (4 semesters) which kinda makes me worry if she would be eligible for 3 year PGWP once she completes the course.

Regarding the 10 year history, she graduated in 2005 and had worked for almost 3 years till 2008. After that she resigned for family reasons and has been a homemaker since.

We chose embedded systems course since it is related to her Bachelors in Electronics and Communication Engineering and in addition to paying the tuition fee for the first year and getting a GIC, I am planning to get an education loan from a bank in India.

I shall try to get the visa application lodged in India, but I am guessing she has to go to India for a short time to apply from there. Please correct me if I am wrong.

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
In the acceptance letter, the program is mentioned as 2 year program, but the course duration is from May 2015 till Aug 2016 (4 semesters) which kinda makes me worry if she would be eligible for 3 year PGWP once she completes the course.
if the program is 2 years then 3 years pgwp in general if she qualifies for pgwp.

I shall try to get the visa application lodged in India, but I am guessing she has to go to India for a short time to apply from there. Please correct me if I am wrong.
yes as she will need to send passport which i think is not a good idea to send from US and staying in a foreign country without a passport.

sundevil

Star Member
Jul 4, 2014
mead said:
if the program is 2 years then 3 years pgwp in general if she qualifies for pgwp.
Thanks

mead said:
yes as she will need to send passport which i think is not a good idea to send from US and staying in a foreign country without a passport.
True. Should we have to send the passport along with the original application or will it be requested once the VO has made a positive decision on the study permit. The reason I am asking is, we would be applying for my open work permit along with her study permit application. So if I have to send my passport too with the application, then it would be a little bit difficult since I am currently working here in the US.