+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help me on work experience under PGWP as a full time student please

Fhtd

Jan 25, 2013
I've read quite some posts in this forum but am still confused. Hope my case can help people whose experience involves being research/teaching assistants, and/or work experiences obtained under PGWP.

Experience:

May 2010: Master Degree completed (but no diploma issued yet); started to work full-time (under off-campus work permit) on a NOC A job;
August 2010: A 3-year Post graduate work permit issued;
October 2010: Master degree certificate/diploma conferred;
Sept 2011: left job to go back school for full-time PHD study; applied for PR under CEC, got rejected because valid work experience is about 10 months (Oct 2010 - August 2011) < 12 months full time;
Oct 2012: started to work part-time (10 hours/week) for the same NOC A job (for the same employer as before) using my PGWP while still attending full-time PHD study;

Also I've been a teaching/research assistant from Sept 2011 till now, working 10 hours/week under a on-campus study permit.

It seems under the new act any work experience obtained as a full-time student does not count:(. But I really would like to find out any possibility to re-apply before my IELTS expires in June 2013. Does anyone have any idea?

PS: I am thinking of not mentioning so clearly that I am a full-time student now, so that the part-time work experience (NOC A for previous employer) since Oct 2012 could count. Is this necessary? Also I've heard rumors saying the PGWP automatically becomes invalid when you apply for a study permit, is that true?

Thanks everyone for viewing and providing comments!

jsm0085

Champion Member
Feb 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Fhtd said:
I've read quite some posts in this forum but am still confused. Hope my case can help people whose experience involves being research/teaching assistants, and/or work experiences obtained under PGWP.

Experience:

May 2010: Master Degree completed (but no diploma issued yet); started to work full-time (under off-campus work permit) on a NOC A job;
Sept 2011: left job to go back school for full-time PHD study; applied for PR under CEC, got rejected because valid work experience is about 10 months (Oct 2010 - August 2011) < 12 months full time;
Oct 2012: started to work part-time (10 hours/week) for the same NOC A job (for the same employer as before) using my PGWP while still attending full-time PHD study;

Also I've been a teaching/research assistant from Sept 2011 till now, working 10 hours/week under a on-campus study permit.

It seems under the new act any work experience obtained as a full-time student does not count:(. But I really would like to find out any possibility to re-apply before my IELTS expires in June 2013. Does anyone have any idea?

You are correct. You cannot count this work towards your experience. Only work when you were not in ft study.

PS: I am thinking of not mentioning so clearly that I am a full-time student now, so that the part-time work experience (NOC A for previous employer) since Oct 2012 could count. Is this necessary? Also I've heard rumors saying the PGWP automatically becomes invalid when you apply for a study permit, is that true?

gladaki

Champion Member
Jul 15, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-11-2013
AOR Received.
30-12-2013
IELTS Request
submitted with application
Med's Done....
Upfront on 29th April..Updated on Ecas on 26th May
Passport Req..
11-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
17-07-2014
LANDED..........
20-07-2014
Fhtd said:

Experience:

Well in tha case my application and my friend application both will be rejected. Though I will be sending he letter from my department that I was graduated in April. This is one of the stupid rule about confering ethe degree I ever heard.

stephvera

Dec 23, 2015
Hi Everyone! I am wondering if anyone can tell me about the PGWP. If you finish your Master's program earlier that is before 2 years, would you still get a 3 years PGWP?

Thanks in advance, Best,
Stephanie W.

HoPe90

Nov 19, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
IN LAND
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13/01/2016
Doc's Request.
22/11/2016
Nomination.....
06/12/2016
AOR Received.
19/07/2016
As long as you can prove that you have satisified the requirements to complete the degree in full and that you are able to graduate then you should be fine to receive a PGWP. The permit is 3 years all the time but you have to make sure you meet the requirements - finishing in full your program at school.

sf1234

Star Member
Jul 27, 2015
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-08-2014
AOR Received.
08-01-2015
Med's Request
05-02-2016
Med's Done....
06-02-2016 RPRF Upfront..: 07-03-2016
Passport Req..
13-05-2016
LANDED..........
28-07-2016
Hello, it is not always 3 years. It depends on the length of your program. Quoted the exact line from CIC website below:

"A work permit under the PGWPP may be issued for the length of the study program, up to a maximum of three years."

And to be eligible:

have continuously studied full time in Canada (i.e., studies must have taken place at a Canadian educational institution) and have completed a program of study that is at least eight months in duration;